generator installers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i've got a question for the guys that install generators. have you ever installed a automatic transfer switch on a portable generator? if so what transfer switch did you use? i can't use a interlock without major surgery.

Why would you go through the trouble of cutting in an automatic switch if you have to roll a generator out and start it? There are recent code updates that make it more difficult to install generators that service the whole house. Unsure if you are talking about a transfer switch that has only 12 or so circuits or looking to transfer the whole panel. I would install a 6 or 8 circuit manual switch if I had to roll a generator out during an outage.

I haven’t hooked up my portable generator yet, but the inverter for my solar system has an automatic bypass for generator use. It’s pretty slick. You can wire it up to either a 120v or a 240v generator. As soon as the generator kicks in, the relays switch the input from the battery bank/inverter over to the generator. You can also set it up to send a certain amount back into charging the batteries. The system I have is the Midnite Solar MNEMS4448PAECL150 pre-wired system. I’m very happy with it so far.

However, I realize that didn’t really answer your question. :)

i didn't want to put a few circuits on and leave some off. i usually use a interlock. my way of looking at this is what good is having a generator running if you have to take a candle into the bathroom. what's the point. this customer has his main out at the meter and the panel is in the basement. so there is no interlock for the meter main. this guy has a 9300 watt starting and a 7500 watt run generator already. i was just seeing if there was a transfer switch that would be runable on a portable so he could start the generator plug it in and not worry about finding his way around a dark basement. then maybe get him to buy a standby down the road and use the same transfer switch.

I haven’t hooked up my portable generator yet, but the inverter for my solar system has an automatic bypass for generator use. It’s pretty slick. You can wire it up to either a 120v or a 240v generator. As soon as the generator kicks in, the relays switch the input from the battery bank/inverter over to the generator. You can also set it up to send a certain amount back into charging the batteries. The system I have is the Midnite Solar MNEMS4448PAECL150 pre-wired system. I’m very happy with it so far.

However, I realize that didn’t really answer your question. :)
that's a nice setup. does the generator just plug into the inverter?

i didn't want to put a few circuits on and leave some off. i usually use a interlock. my way of looking at this is what good is having a generator running if you have to take a candle into the bathroom. what's the point. this customer has his main out at the meter and the panel is in the basement. so there is no interlock for the meter main. this guy has a 9300 watt starting and a 7500 watt run generator already. i was just seeing if there was a transfer switch that would be runable on a portable so he could start the generator plug it in and not worry about finding his way around a dark basement. then maybe get him to buy a standby down the road and use the same transfer switch.
I have a similar setup where my main is next to the meter can and my load center is in the garage. I wanted to power the whole load center with the generator and load manage myself.

So I replaced my outside main with this box.
Amazon product ASIN B00AHTWRDMAlso need this for connecting the generator.
Amazon product ASIN B08NJWBWZ7

that's a nice setup. does the generator just plug into the inverter?

Yeah, the inverter plugs into the generator. I was concerned at first that power would backfeed through the cord and make the exposed plug prongs hot, but apparently the relay takes care of that. Initially I’m just going to wire up a cable directly from the inverter, and then run it under the shed door to the generator sitting outside. If I end up using it a lot, then I’ll consider a more permanent install, with the generator in the shed connected to a through-the-wall exhaust extension. Also, I have a remote starter on my generator, and a battery monitor inside the cabin, so the the plan is to just hit the button to start the generator any time I see the battery level get too low. And if THAT gets too inconvenient, they make an generator auto start module for this inverter! There are so many rabbit holes.

Yeah, the inverter plugs into the generator. I was concerned at first that power would backfeed through the cord and make the exposed plug prongs hot, but apparently the relay takes care of that. Initially I’m just going to wire up a cable directly from the inverter, and then run it under the shed door to the generator sitting outside. If I end up using it a lot, then I’ll consider a more permanent install, with the generator in the shed connected to a through-the-wall exhaust extension. Also, I have a remote starter on my generator, and a battery monitor inside the cabin, so the the plan is to just hit the button to start the generator any time I see the battery level get too low. And if THAT gets too inconvenient, they make an generator auto start module for this inverter! There are so many rabbit holes.
very nice. you really did your homework

Can’t you just put an interlock on the meter main?

no they don't make one for that. i guess what i'll do is put a manual switch at the meter or he'll have to do the full stand by.