Generator placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lance1 said:
It's not a matter of saving some bucks, I don't need an idiot proof device to hook a generator while keeping the safety of others and myself a priority, others do, the reason for the code.

Requesting this thread be locked, due to promotion of activities deemed unsafe by our lawmakers...

(Yes...I know...but you have to draw the line somewhere).

kast said:
Requesting this thread be locked

What! Are you kidding me?

Sorry, Kast...but think about it. This thread has run the course from placement of the generator (inside vs outside) to shelter of the generator, to connection, disconnection, transfer switches, legalities, responsibilities and individual freedom to ignore the law.

What next? If it's gonna be good, I'll stay for the popcorn

I completely understand that a thread has an end of life, but I don’t understand why someone would not just stop reading said post, and skip the need to request it be locked of all things.

Lance1 said:
ResOps,
Turning off the main is the first step of the procedure in putting my generator on-line. Back feeding may not be to code, but it safe how I'm doing it. A low 6 amp total draw on the generator for what I run on temp (house wiring is good for 15 amp), breaker on the generator, UL approved connections, oversized wire (30 amp) between the generator and main (this was done for a welder) and my back feed goes though breakers before it reaches the house receptacles.

Linemen are suppose to ground and/or short the power lines before they are work on them in case of a back feed. There is also in-line knife switches on power lines so they can turn off sections. If they forget to do their safety procedures, they deserve to be zapped.

lass442,
You have your terminology backwards. Closed = power on. Since I have the main open (off) nothing happens when the power grid is turned back on.
Unlike allot of people, when I have a black out, I turn off or unplug everything in the house to eliminate any surges to appliances. The other reason I turn everything off is when changing over to a generator, it not fully loaded at start up.
A breaker is no different than a light switch as far as surges. Surges are produced by the electric company or lighting strikes.

That is a very ignorant and stupid statement. I won't say anymore.

Lance1 said:
Aren't you being silly, one can play the "what if" game all day long. Safety is (should be) an electricians #1 concern. Safety procedures is the first thing done on a jobsite before work continues. Losing an unsafe electrician will save lives/property farther down the line.

It's not a matter of saving some bucks, I don't need an idiot proof device to hook a generator while keeping the safety of others and myself a priority, others do, the reason for the code.

Safety is my number 1 concern. Thats why i try to educate all the other idiots in the world, to follow the proper procedures and codes! So they can be safe, and the linemen working down the street can be safe. However the stupid and ignorant cannot be helped.

If there were less stupid people in the world it would make my job easier. So lets get rid of GFCI outlets, because people should be smart enough to know water and electricity don't mix. Lets get rid of the stupid arc fault breakers that are $45 a piece and must be used virtually in new residential construction. The only reason we have them is mainly idiots running extension cords under carpet/ furniture, they get frayed and short out. Heck while we are at it lets get rid of breakers, people should know when their circuit is overloaded! A fault condition is considered a what if. There should never in normal operation be one.

Bottom line the " The purpose of the NEC is the practical safeguarding or persons and property from the hazards arising from the use of electricity."

Status
Not open for further replies.