Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

G3mike

Nov 28, 2018
Virginia
Thinking about getting a generator to run my classic bay 1200 for the winter. How do I figure out what size I need?
Will a 1000 watt do the trick? I dont need it to run anything else.
Thanks

The manual (page 4) for your stove says the max draw at startup is 4.1 amps or about 500 watts. Be careful evaluating the power output of any generator. Most sellers advertise the surge rating which is much higher than the run rating. I would look for a generator that has a run rating more than 1000 watts and a surge or peak rating of 1500 watts.

There's also a note in the manual about about backup systems that may not be compatible with the micro-processor. I would look for a generator with a pure sine wave inverter output. If you choose a contractor grade (noisy) generator then you should use a pure sine wave UPS between the generator and your stove. I have a Champion 2500W dual fuel inverter generator for my stove which I run on propane. A Honda eu2200 inverter generator is always a good choice.

Reactions: Highbeam and Corey
Good reply above.

Your choice of generator might also depend on what you mean by "run my classic bay for the winter". If you mean a few odd power outages here an there, then most any generator fitting the specs above would do. If you really mean 'run for the winter' as in "run the stove daily (or even all day) for an entire winter season" that is going to rack up quite a bit of run time on a small generator, so you'd probably want to lean toward a high quality unit (honda or similar).

The dual fuel option is interesting - especially as the OP considering 'only' running a wood stove. Eyeballing some small gas generator efficiency listings - they hover in the low to mid teens for overall efficiency (I suppose around low 20's for the gas engine, high 70's on the generator) https://www.ugov.net/Generator Efficiencies.pdf

So to generate ~1000 watts (3400btu) of electricity to run a stove, you need 6-7x that in thermal energy at the generator. 6 x 3400 is 20,400btu at the generator to make electricity to run the wood stove. This is about half the stove's rated btu output! So you're paying a pretty hefty price to burn pellets. Might consider putting the cost of a generator toward a natural gas or propane heating appliance and just burn the gas directly.

Reactions: jackman
Since you'll be running a genset during the power outage, why limit yourself to just the pellet stove. Surely you would appreciate a few lights, keeping the refrigerator/freezer cold, watching some TV, etc. You can do all of this with extension cords or there are other ways too.

I have been very happy with my champion inverter generators. Very clean high quality power, very quiet, and very easy on fuel since inverters idle down to match the load.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I use 1250w Inverter/Charger (AIMS 1250) along with two 100ah batteries. Gives me 12 hours of run time on Harmon XXV on Manual and 1/2 fan speed. I have 7kw Genny for other stuff and battery charger. Covers normal power outages. Have yet to use 7k genny in 10 years

I have been very happy with my champion inverter generators
So am I and a heck of a lot less expensive that the Honda. I hear the HF Pred inverter genny's are good as well.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'd never buy a 3600 rpm (2 pole) non inverter modified sine wave genny. One, too loud, 2 dirty power and 3, no resale value at all.

My big one runs the entire farm and shop. it's a John Deere diesel standby that feeds off my 1000 gallon bulk diesel tank. Auto exercises every week and auto vacuum transfer to the incoming breakout box that is wired into my mains.

Of course it was expensive but it's a 4 poles so it runs at 1800 rpm, not 3600 and it was expensive (like 10 grand installed) but I still use my Champ a lot. it goes in the side by side with an extension cord to run power tools in the fields. The JD is internally regulated to 60HZ no matter what load it's providing up to it's rated nameplate KW which is 27 with a 30 KW peak.

Nobody ever talks about a stand by generator and could they not handle what the person wants to handle..just curious..clancey

Mid sized generator and plug an APC into it, no need for a pure sine wave generator, the apc takes care of it.

I found this on the net and is this "what you are talking about" and is this the right way of thinking about it? clancey
If a pop up comes on just do not click on it just move up and down and I hope this is some of what you all are talking about because all this is new to me on how to use these abbreviations..

I have a Generac stand by generator. It's 8kw and powers all the important stuff in the house which includes the Harman. It has powered the stove several times over the years with no problems. Totally automatic.
Ron

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I also have one 8kw and had it now for about 10 years and get it serviced once a year and it works like yours "great"..same as yours a Generac...When I bought it people told me that I was wasting my money and if the electricity went out they would bring a portable generator over to my house ---"Yea--Right" I could not imagine myself walking or driving to the gas station to refill those (portable) ones with gas or even the know how to hook it up especially in the middle of a snowstorm or something--not that ambitious..I love mine...Now they have that solar one and I wonder how that one works...I used mine about four or five times and it exercises once a week for 20 minutes and I love the low sound of the motor--like a used car but so pretty--I love it...clancey

I have a Generac stand by generator. It's 8kw and powers all the important stuff in the house which includes the Harman. It has powered the stove several times over the years with no problems. Totally automatic.
Ron
Understandable. You have Consumers and when Consumers goes out it's usually gone for a LONG time. We have DTE and it's usually short.

DTE is the electric provider here in Michigan where I live and farm. DTE is Detroit Edison Electric. get my corn for the stove from M&W Seeds (off germ) cannot sell and my propane from Garst LP gas, Inc. I hunt with the owner. My avatar is a Hurst Scotchback bio mass boiler. I was the backup operator where I retired from years also known as the ash shoveler. Was a hungry little bastard.

Pretty sure APC is a brand name. The company makes UPSs which are fine for short term small needs.

SCF--"Your sure were and a hard worker as well".. I am going to look up that Hurst Scotchbach bio mass boiler just for the hell of it--later much later--hard working day today...clancey

Sidecar it actually is quite the reverse out here. DTE services Livingston county and Consumers services Shiawassee county where I live about 3 miles from the border. DTE goes out much more than Consumers. We did have a 9 hour scheduled outage that was for upgrades to the substation here in late winter.
Ron