Gentleman get ready to start your engines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Attachments

• myhome.jpg
    myhome.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 444
Willhound would call that picture a "Possiblity of snow in the forecast.".

Tools of the trade around here: Snow shoes, Cross country skis, snowblower (with plenty of sheer pins). no more no less. No chopping, cutting, building, or chinmney sweeping. I love the winter. We get that champange powder, the air is so cold, the snow is so dry, just kicks up like fine dust. It a few months away from that kind of snow, but only weeks away to regular snow.
I dont own a lawnmore :)

I can't wait!

The installers are on the way to put in the Kennebec insert, the old VC044 is on the hearth waiting for them to move to the garage. Hopefully will have a break-in fire tonight!

I felt like a kid on Thank-huana-mas last eve last night - visions of gefilte fish and turkey dancing in my head.

Well I know it’s still a little early in the season, but I started moving my wood under better cover of my garage, I can fit 3 cords nicely in there.

I typically wait until mid October, to avoid the bugs but with the remnants of Ernesto and the possibility of up to 4-6 inches of rain falling, I couldn’t bare to watch my seasoned wood get soaking wet, even though it does have a tarp on it.

Any bugs that are in the wood will be hibernating soon, so I won’t have to deal with it for vary long.

BTW this is my home I stick built with no help. Back in the days when almost no codes, where I could do my own plumbing wiring heating and masonry. In the middle is the field stone chimney wth 4 flues. I picked up the stone here on my lot. I have already redone the front porch and installed allnew sliders since last winter I need to post an update photo. the sliders all face due south tremendeous passive solar gain in the winter the 4' roof overhang shades them in the summer That front room on top will get to 80 degrees sunny FEB day bottom floor is actually built into a hill not shown all exterior walls are near R30 2/6 and ridgid styro foam the plywood and real hand split shakes shingles.
One person can build their own home if they have the skill and knowledge. 40 squares of roofing here replaced last year.

elk, awsome job on that place, looks like some nice work. How long did the construction take you, and were you going at it full time? I'm on my 3rd year of construction, but the light is there, hope to move in in about 6 weeks. Of course it won't be finished for a while, lots of flooring and trim will need done, but if I don't get the wife out of the pole barn...I'm liable to loose 1/2 my stuff. The plumbing and electrical inspectors around here have been good to work with and pretty helpful. They work for the state, we don't have mechanical/construction inspections from the county.

Too bad you don't get a little more snow :).

Bri

I plan to keep riding until the morning ice starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.