Get ready for beetle-killed wood pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Ran across a new development in wood pellets recently... beetle-killed wood pellets.

I spotted a pallet of these new pellets in a stove store's "secret test lab"... they are trying them this winter to see if they meet the companys quality standards.

Originating in the western US and Canada, the pellets are made from lodgepole pine... a tree that is being decimated by a beetle infestation. It's thought that all lodgepole pines will be gone by 2013.

My source at the store sez these new pellets are made from whole trees, not sawdust. As a result, they are a little grainier... not as compacted as a standard pellet. Now word on how they burn... film at 11.

http://www.timberbuysell.com/community/DisplayAd.asp?id=2366

around here (Worcester, and parts of Holden and West Boylston) we have asian long horned beetles that are resistant to all forms of pesticides and love to prey on hardwoods. The only way to eradicate is to cut down the infested tree, and grind them up to a certain size grind. no wood can leave the quarentined area, and you can't keep it to burn either because they larvae can last a few years before boring out and reproducing. too bad they won't make wood pellets out of these. A shame, because there are hundreds of thousands of trees to eradicate....

Seems like private industry is doing what government couldn't do ... again... clear the forests of dead trees and the fire hazard that goes along with them. Too bad the US Forest Service isn't that smart...

I burned 20 bags of the Rocky Mountain brand this year (all that the particular Tractor Supply had). The story is written on the bag. They come in a clear bag with a handle.

krooser said:
Ran across a new development in wood pellets recently... beetle-killed wood pellets.

I spotted a pallet of these new pellets in a stove store's "secret test lab"... they are trying them this winter to see if they meet the companys quality standards.

Originating in the western US and Canada, the pellets are made from lodgepole pine... a tree that is being decimated by a beetle infestation. It's thought that all lodgepole pines will be gone by 2013.

My source at the store sez these new pellets are made from whole trees, not sawdust. As a result, they are a little grainier... not as compacted as a standard pellet. Now word on how they burn... film at 11.

http://www.timberbuysell.com/community/DisplayAd.asp?id=2366

I have used the Rockey Mt Pellets that are made from beetle kill and as others have posted smell great cool clear bag I just dont like the soft pellets for my Accentra.
Off topic I used the Vac trick last week and I was blown away at the results and how little it cost to set up. Thanks again for sharing this GREAT INFORMATION !

I've been burning pellets since '97 and have tried all the available brands around here, Lignetics, Eureka, and others I can't remember. A couple years ago I was able to get some hardwood pellets that I really liked, but can't get them anymore. I started using RM Pellets this fall and they are working great for me. Of course I don't have a fancy stove, it's either on or off. I also liked the price at $185 per ton and hope I can get them that cheap next fall.

This is a good idea! Hopefully a portion of the profits will be used to replant these forests with beetle resistant trees. I read an article recently that the trees in the forests of California are dying at a 30% higher than normal rate which is being blamed on global warming. Maybe they can do the same thing here with the fallen trees.

krooser said:
Seems like private industry is doing what government couldn't do ... again... clear the forests of dead trees and the fire hazard that goes along with them. Too bad the US Forest Service isn't that smart...
It isn't the forest service, it is bill Clinton who put the dead tree removal/access road program on hold to pay off the sierra club etc. who supported him. They are opposed to the program because to get in and clean the forest you have to make roads, and then people might come in a see the woods I gues. This short sigted idea led to huge forest fires back in the 90's, as a smoke jumper can't be sent in where they can't be supported or brought out, and that requires roads. The latest menace to the pristene forests is mountain bikers. The new congress and Pres. just made thousands of acres off limits to them, and realy anyone. Read AL Gores book "earth in the balance" that is the ultimate aim of the Eco nazis. Everyone will live in citys with mass transit, and only those who appreciate the enviorment will be allowed to visit it.

Deffy said:
this would be great if the can teach the beetles to deposit the wood pellets in 40 lb bags when they are done :)
Not sure the Dept. of Education can handle that, either! Geez... we'll have the "No Beetle Left Behind" program...

rowerwet said:
krooser said:
It isn't the forest service, it is bill Clinton who put the dead tree removal/access road program on hold to pay off the sierra club etc. who supported him. They are opposed to the program because to get in and clean the forest you have to make roads, and then people might come in a see the woods I gues. This short sigted idea led to huge forest fires back in the 90's, as a smoke jumper can't be sent in where they can't be supported or brought out, and that requires roads. The latest menace to the pristene forests is mountain bikers. The new congress and Pres. just made thousands of acres off limits to them, and realy anyone. Read AL Gores book "earth in the balance" that is the ultimate aim of the Eco nazis. Everyone will live in citys with mass transit, and only those who appreciate the enviorment will be allowed to visit it.
You're probably right... the Forest Service does what it's told to do... as far as reading Mr. Gores book I'll be getting to that right after the "Communist Manifesto" and "Mein Kampf"...

I have burned almost a ton of these pellets and i am hooked on them. They burn real nice, no fines in the bags ever!!!, nice handle on the bag that has never failed. Bag is heavy duty also. They smell good, no dust, no fines, less ash makes cleaning the stove easy. I will burn these moving ahead providing they are cheaper than 5.20 a bag. If not then it is back to propane for me.

Deffy said:
krooser,

shouldnt be hard at all. my wife is a teacher and from looking at some of these kids papers, the beetles are already 9 times smarter.
Ouch... I remember 3rd grade as the best three years of my life!

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
around here (Worcester, and parts of Holden and West Boylston) we have asian long horned beetles that are resistant to all forms of pesticides and love to prey on hardwoods. The only way to eradicate is to cut down the infested tree, and grind them up to a certain size grind. no wood can leave the quarentined area, and you can't keep it to burn either because they larvae can last a few years before boring out and reproducing. too bad they won't make wood pellets out of these. A shame, because there are hundreds of thousands of trees to eradicate....

Agree 100%-Why waste the wood! To bad we can't get one of the mills to do what rocky mountain is doing! There all complaining they can't get the saw dust.

Wonder if there is anything we can do to get something going?

jay

krooser said:
rowerwet said:
krooser said:
You're probably right... the Forest Service does what it's told to do... as far as reading Mr. Gores book I'll be getting to that right after the "Communist Manifesto" and "Mein Kampf"...
the best book to read right now would be "rules for radicals" in it you will find out why our president is doing what he is and what his ultimate goal is. (this book makes Gores look like a fairy tale) "rfr" will show what the goal of the 60's radicals was and how they have gotten thier goals into our schools and government. (my dad was one of them, He knows what the goal is and he also met a lot of the presidents friends back then)

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the wood could be either burned or chipped sufficiently fine to kill the larvae. They probably wouldn't survive the pelletizing process either. Yes, it would be a total waste if they can't do anything with all those trees that have to be destroyed.

(my first post... new Mt Vernon AE insert owner for about a month now)

It is good to see that these trees are being put to good use.

We were talking about the beetle on these forums in 2007, when TallOil was going to be one of the first to harvest for pellets these dead trees.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8210/

Funny thing is we were discussing the future price of pellets and the up comming shortage :cheese:

Also interesting to note that some lumbar mills have reported success with getting high grade lumbar form standing dead wood, suggesting another use for these trees (if housing ever recovers....).

Cheers

Kenny

Kenny said:
........Funny thing is we were discussing the future price of pellets and the up comming shortage :cheese:.........

Cheers

Kenny

Too funny....you guys were complaining about having to pay $189/ton instead of $149.....I wish!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.