Getting a lot of creosote.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Stove in use for 1 month and I have Done everthing you guys are saying, small hot fires, well seasoned wood (under 22%) flexible liner, I get no cresote inside stove or on glass door, but went on to roof to look at chimney cowling and there is quite a lot of creosote over stainless steel cowling...is this normal folks?

A small amount after 1 month of moderate firing is not uncommon. With smaller fires (even hot), you simply don't have the volume of hot exhaust that will come when you are really cranking that baby. Keep an eye on it, and if becomes "excessive" then clean it. See what happens when the cold weather comes.

Jags said:
A small amount after 1 month of moderate firing is not uncommon. With smaller fires (even hot), you simply don't have the volume of hot exhaust that will come when you are really cranking that baby. Keep an eye on it, and if becomes "excessive" then clean it. See what happens when the cold weather comes.

Thanks Jags, I have a stovepipe temp of about 350 - 400F should I crank it up now and again to burn off the cresote at the top end?

Neil said:
Jags said:

Thanks Jags, I have a stovepipe temp of about 350 - 400F should I crank it up now and again to burn off the cresote at the top end?

Is that surface temp or internal flue temp??

Edit for clarity: surface temp of pipe or internal temp of pipe?

Adios Pantalones said:
Define "a lot". If it's so much that you can't see seams in the pipe at all, more than 1/8-1/4" in that time, then it's a lot. If it's just a black skim- no worries.
It is just like a sticky coating on the one side of the fins of the anti-downdraft cowling, like someone has used a brush to paint on a thin coat of sticky tar

The surface temp of your stack sounds reasonable. Kind of a rule of thumb is that you double surface temp and it will give you a ball park of internal flue temp (for what thats worth). I agree that it doesn't sound crazy bad, but keep an eye on it. You are probably seeing the effects of the exhaust cooling on the extremities, probably not really a "cold stack" issue.

You guys in SUA get a lot of wind and high humidity that I would think would contribute to accumulation on a chimney cap. Now if the inside of the pipe looks like that I would start to get a little concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.