Getting harrased by solar panel sales people due to my solar potential with aerial imaging. .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had to purchase 180 kwh last month as I had used up all my surplus KWH. I had massive usage around the holidays as I had a ton of family staying over. The record cold snap in late Dec and Jan was another reason. I also had the panels installed in May so missed some surplus production last spring.

The good news is my net meter is now showing a surplus as production has started to skyrocket on sunny days this time of the year.

I can't really complain about a $46.49 bill as these panels have been saving me a fortune. Eversource is charging .26 kwh here in CT. We have the highest rates in the US. $46.49/180kwh = .26 cents a kwh. On a good production day I can produce about $10 a day in power at those rates with my small 5.4kwh system.

Capture.JPG

Always good to see someone happy with the results. Glad we gave you a push.

Hi Brian26, can i ask about about the last bill amount, which seems off from the $0.27 kwh stated?

You banked (via net metering) 98+275+89+160+107=729 Kwh in months Jun thru Oct.
Then in Nov thru Feb your usage exceed solar production and you withdrew from your bank to cover that.
In month Nov thru Jan you withdrew 55+119+530=704, and had 25 Kwh remaining in your bank.
Then in Feb your grid usage was 180, and with the 25 applied, you were billed on 155 kwh.

So subtracting the $19.25 meter charge from the $46.49 billed leaves $27.24 for the 155 Kwh.

That's about $0.17 per kilowatt-hours.

My point is that no Utility I've seen ever makes it easy to understand what we are actually paying for the product, for the service to deliver that product, and for the taxes added to each of those by local and state governments.

So considering that there is probably 10-12% taxes in that $0.17 per kwh figure, your rate is probably closer to $0.15 per kwh.

Which if you look on your bill, somewhere, is probably made up of a Transmission & Delivery Charge of about 6 cents, and a Generation Product of about 9 cents.

Anyway, you'll do better this year as you get two more months to bank. Going solar looks like a great decision!