Getting more heat out of an old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaphod

Jul 27, 2011
N Alberta
Hi Guys, Hoping to get some input from you. I bought a cabin with an old fireplace (Glow Boy) probably bought and installed mid 80's. It was supposed to be sort of a Heatilator knock off. It has a huge 8" air intake from outside and a variable speed fan to push air. The chimney seems to be about 7", and the air is forced around the fireplace through 3 chambers until it finally blows around the firebox and out into the room. the actual vent where the air comes out is split top/bottom with the bottom air coming from around the firebox and the upper part from the chamber before it gets to the firebox. And this thing really doesn't put out a heck of alot of heat. I have the brochure from when it was bought and was advertised as one of the most efficent fireplaces around. (or so they said). I want to be able to get alot more heat out of it if I can and was wondering if you had any ideas.

What I have done is to buy some fireplace bricks and put them in the firebox, (this thing just had a plain metal box, and when you opend the door to add wood, the heat would dissipate so quick, that by the time you closed the doors there was hardly any heat coming out. the bricks have made a noticable difference but I still want to suck more heat out of this.

I pulled the front off the fireplace off and I can see that the air is basically warmed by passing by the chimney. I was wondering if there would be a way to attach a heat exchanger or even just attach some metal fins around the outside of the chimney that will give it a bigger surface area to radiate heat. This would be attaching the metal just inside the fireplace itself, not on the stack. There is an area of about 6 inches of chimney coming from the fireplace up to where it enters the stack. I really don't want to replace it as it is built in and this is in an A frame, and there is 35' of stack up to the roof, all enclosed in rock. I figure there has to be something to just fit up against the side of the chimeny that will help suck some heat out.

This thing has lots of draft as the chimney goes straight up and so little heat get sucked out into the room tha I don't think putting something onto a couple inches of chimney would cool it enough to cause a creosote buildup. But is should allow more heat to be sucked into the room.

Anyone familiar with this type of fireplace? any other ideas? I can take a few pictures to show you want I mean, if you think it may help.

Thanks

They make Fireplace "Grates" or Gratolators (I think thats the name). The are the grate in which the fire is built on. BUT... Its hollow tubes, that sit in the fire. There is a blower that blows air thru the said "Tubes" and the heat comes out into the room. It is a Heat exchanger for fireplaces. The blower sits outside the front of the fireplace. Pretty simple design, but you will have to pay for it.

well this firebox is small and this would not fit inside it. that is why I was hoping to do something with the existing heating system

Got any pics?

Probably losing most of your heat up the stack due to the tall chimney. Does it have a damper? If so try closing it half way or more after the fire is established.

I'm very curious about this wood burner. Please upload pics. I think with some images of the unit from different angles we can get a better idea of what you're looking to do (inside shots are really helpful).

Sounds a lot like my fireplace. Very heatilator-ish. The thing that confuses me, though, is the part where you talk about opening the door to add wood. What kind of door is it? There are a lot of fireplace doors that are not made to be closed while it's burning, so I just wanna make sure you aren't about to explode some glass all over the place. Definitely could be clarified with pics.

Plain Steel Box?? Thats what he called it ealier? Also.. Opening the dor to add wood?? Very Small "Firebox" and last but not least. The Thread title. Getting more heat out of an "Old Stove"?? Is this an insert? and not a Manf Fireplace. Should be a pretty big box, even if its a small model... The way he makes it sound, the doors must be closed to get heat?? Only a stove would operate this way?? Or a High effiencency Z/C w/ducts. (But this aint that)

Pics would be very helpful.

Maybe an insert placed into an older heatilator fireplace.

i will upload some pics tonight.
and yes it has doors that came with it, it is not an insert, it is the fireplace itself.
It is sort of built like a stove with doors that are supposed to be air tight, but which are
removable. Sort of a cross between a stove and a fireplace.

what happened here? I'm still curious of what the heck you've got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.