Getting ready to lay brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens66

Aug 31, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Hello All,

While doing some searches I stumbled upon this forum and figured I would join to ask a some experts :) . My home was built three years ago and we are now finally getting ready to lay brick in our basement to install a woodstove (or pellet) for the winter. The question I have is there an approximate amount of feet the brick should come out from the wall on the floor. I checked the specs and "most" stoves seem to be about 24" deep. The stove would connect to the wall so I already figured in 8" for the elbow joint. At this point a perfect half circle from my wall would be 48". I don't want the brick taking up the entire floor of my basement but I also don't want the stove right at the edge of the brick. Do you think 48" would give me about a foot extra? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. If there were things I left out that you have questions on please let me know.

Welcome!

I assume you're talking about laying a hearth pad for your new stove, correct? If so, 48" might be okay, but you'll have to check all the clearances on the stove (or stoves) your interested in. I would suggest over-engineering the hearth to accept just about anything, because it's a lot easier (and safer) to do so now. I'd also make the area of the hearth a little larger than you think you might want. It's really nice to have room on the hearth to work (cleaning etc.), for storing tools/ashes, wood, etc.

I burn pellets and wood, along with some coal if I can find it cheap. I would not recommend pellets to anyone unless pellet pricing or supply is of no concern. Coal in your area might be very cheap and would likely be my first choice (if I lived in PA), unless I could get free wood.

If this basement isn't insulated, you should really consider doing so ASAP if you're going to be heating this area!

+1 on over extending the hearth a little - especially if you plan to burn wood. Nothing worse than burning a hole in new carpet or a deep pit in a new wood floor. It won't be as much of a concern if you go the pellet route.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I'm on various manufacturers websites now going over their dimensions. I'm probably going to extend it out another 6 inches to a foot. Providing everything gets completed tomorrow I'll try to post some pics to see what you guys think

Status
Not open for further replies.