Getting stove back home? 4x8 trailer 16" sides

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
I have access to a 4x8 trailer with 16" sides, Sides are not tall enough to put the stove up to the edge and strap it upright. I could lay it down but then I feel I should remove the heat shields as they are so thing. Another idea I had was to put it in the center 1/3 from the front, screw some 2x4 blocking around the base and then use straps on all 4 sides to pull it down in each direction. Which would you recommend?

The load should be balanced with the weight over the axle, and the tongue having about 10% of that weight. With a 400lb stove, I’d strap it down over the axle and call it a day. You need to worry about weight distribution more with heavy loads.

Reactions: Fod01
You have the right idea. Screwed-down blocking to keep it from sliding, and straps to keep it from tipping. Primary concern is tipping forward when you slam on the brakes.

Stoves are so light WRT trailer weight, that I'd just put the back of the stove against the front wall of the trailer, and not worry about the tongue being a scant few pounds over the usual 10% - 15% recommendation. Remove anything that could fall and shift in transit, which might break the glass in the door.

Reactions: shortys7777
My concern with moving it all the way forward is the height of the trailer walls is 16" and would only go half way up the stove. Harder to tie down to prevent it from tipping backwards. I'm probably way over thinking it all though. I should probably remove all the fire bricks for the drive and debating taking off the catalyst heat shield and possibly catalyst out.

Yes, you're overthinking it! Sheet of plywood or other material between trailer wall and back of stove, to prevent metal-on-metal abuse. Then straps over front of trailer to frame, and down to whatever eyes you have lower in the trailer. Strapped down properly, there's no way it's going to flip over the front wall.

Each of my several stove moves just involved placing it in the back of a pickup truck, in the same fashion, with the back of the stove against the front wall of the pickup. Never lost a rear window, despite the pickup bed being only 16" deep.

Made it home and backed the trailer into garage, will use regular dolly to get it in garage and leave it there for now. Two yellow straps did all the work.

IMG_6105.jpg

Looks good. A tip for others - put strips of cardboard or fabric under the straps to avoid chafing the paint.

No issues, Did find two of the tacks holding on the rear heat shield popped on one side though. Not sure if new or old. I removed the side shields off hoping I could remove the rear shield to have thicker metal on the dolly.

Next part but not for today will be to get into basement. Would be easy if on main floor. Looks like a u-haul appliance dolly is best for that?

A heavy duty hand truck with 10" pneumatic tires works well. Use 2 ratchet straps to make the stove and the dolly one unit. Protect the finish from the straps with cardboard or a blanket.

I got one of these years ago. It has moved a lot of stoves, appliances, garbage cans, boxes, and even heavy rounds of wood.

Found a 1500lb electric stair climbing rental for $100... feels so worth it not to get other one down but to also get old one out.

Reactions: MikeK
If using appliance dolly any benifit taking the fire box off the pedistal to make it less top heavy?

I’ve always kept the pedestal attached to the stove. It’s not going to weigh much. Removing the door and firebricks will count more.

Reactions: Ashful
I pulled a 2600# Yale jewler's vault out of one basement and put it into another, with less thought and planning than this. ;lol Stoves aren't exactly feathers, but it's easily handled by two guys and a hand truck with large tires. An appliance dolly would be a bonus, but not needed, unless you're 1-manning it.

Yah my brain ran away thinking they couldn't stop it on ramp when taking it off the trailer. Then I thought to ask them and they were like oh yah we could have easily stopped it on the ramp no problem and barely felt anything.

Reactions: Ashful
Nice! Good job.

You're minding clearance to combustibles with stovepipe to ceiling?

Reactions: Newbie78
Nice! Good job.

You're minding clearance to combustibles with stovepipe to ceiling?
You bet, 6" clearance with double wall pipe. I'm just replacing the stove on an existing wett inspected setup and confirmed the clearances on the new stove to ensure it fits in the old pipe location as well. I'm waiting on a new vertical section which should come this week then will get a new inspection done.

Just need to finalize the position and drive the screws home and should be good for the inspection.
IMG_6165.jpg