Getting Tired Of Fighting The Fight This Winter ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of the free refrigeration and ice cubes you can make for another month or so. Silver lining Dix, silver lining....

Hogs, that's a waste of a barn, IMHO ;)

Nice job !!

Wowza, hope it melts quickly !!

Wore sneakers today, first time since December.

I can see the back stacks, and almost have a clear path to some of it . Still laying the ash from the stove on the layers of ice.

Waiting for the weather report, next week is not looking so lovely.

:mad:
Good to hear there's progress. Hope all you see till next December are flurries.

Hogs, that's a waste of a barn, IMHO ;)

Nice job !!
Waste? It's a huge wood shed! Other than wood, it just collects junk.
The previous owner had animals, and the floor is dirt with a half a foot of hay & manure.
If it only had concrete floor......

And with wood you don't have to shovel crap out of the barn. Or feed the wood.

Had to use my tractor with the plow on it to move water (from the rain and melt) from one part of my driveway to another. One sewer line is frozen preventing water from going down and therefore backing up into my garage. Never thought I'd have to use the tractor like that! Also had to use a sledge and a chisel to unblock the other drain into the street.

Ice blockage finally melted and the water has receeded. Was starting to think I had a collapsed drain line.

Next up..............flooding Those ice filled drains wont help either.

This #$%@& winter :mad:. My driveway has pothole! Have the worst heaving I've ever seen and somehow I have a sink/pothole in my driveway WTH is that?

Could half understand if it was new-ish and maybe a void was left that finally let go. This a hole from outta nowhere on a driveway that's been down for 20 yrs or more. It's big too. Guess I'll fill it with gravel and patch it later in the year.

Drop one or more unopened bags of concrete mix in it as needed.

That crossed my mind too, thinking it might stabilize this thing. The other day the wife drove over the section and the asphalt just dropped in. I don't know where the missing material went or if it will continue.

What do you think drop it it dry?

Do you know where your present cesspool is? Could this be an old abandoned one? Be careful.
That has also crossed my mind. Can't be too careful but I don't think that's it. I know where my current is and the overflow is supposed to be closer to the street and not under the drive. Driveway has not moved in the 50+ yrs since the house was built.

So far I've lost about 18" circle of asphalt about 10-12" at the deepest point I'd guess. But it started smaller and has been growing some even though we've been staying off it. Major heaving and freezing so during the recent thaw maybe flowing water displaced the underlay, I guess, maybe, IDK. :confused:

Waste? It's a huge wood shed! Other than wood, it just collects junk.
The previous owner had animals, and the floor is dirt with a half a foot of hay & manure.
If it only had concrete floor......

That's a huge waste of a barn ;)

That has also crossed my mind. Can't be too careful but I don't think that's it. I know where my current is and the overflow is supposed to be closer to the street and not under the drive. Driveway has not moved in the 50+ yrs since the house was built.

So far I've lost about 18" circle of asphalt about 10-12" at the deepest point I'd guess. But it started smaller and has been growing some even though we've been staying off it. Major heaving and freezing so during the recent thaw maybe flowing water displaced the underlay, I guess, maybe, IDK. :confused:
Sink holes are not uncommon on LI.
Hope it doesn' t swell.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/sinkholes-open-up-across-li-after-record-rain-1.9063903

Think Boston got it bad? Capracotta Italy just set what is likely the all time record for 24hr snowfall. 100"!!
Holy Smoly that is crazy. I had to look up the location as I don't have every small Italian town committed to memory. I was expecting it to be in the far north, part of the Italian Alps but not south-east of Rome!!
When we drove through the Dolomites in mid Oct. a few years ago we hit a fair bit of snow on the highway and the ski runs were getting ready to open.

A few days ago we finally could walk on gravel on the driveway for the first time in months. That lasted one day and the gravel turned to mud.

Snow.png

As all this snow is melting, it is revealing a lot of masonry work that I was hoping to postpone. Ugh.

As all this snow is melting, it is revealing a lot of masonry work that I was hoping to postpone. Ugh.

It's showing the carnage that the winter wrought. Yard looks like a war zone. The barns look like a war zone.

:confused:

Snowing here today. I'm considering Maine part of Canada this year:

NoLawn.jpg

Carumba! Tell me about it. Did you resolve that roof leak?

Nope, been other wise occupied with Mom.

There's not 3 feet of snow up there, so I'm good right now. Going to have to rip it out from the inside and reinsulate, sheet rock, etc. Glad I moved the couch out from under it, though :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.