GF 600 DV LP CONVERSION KIT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chiefcamper

Apr 28, 2023
US
Hi All,

Recently picked up a used GF 600 DV. Previous owner complained it was sooting up the side of his home. He was using propane and the stove doesn't have any propane conversion stickers on it. Anyone know where or if I can get the LP conversion kit ? I have a jotul dealer near me, I'm going to call as soon as they open today.

Thanks !!!!!

The cause of soot is more likely an incorrectly set air shutter, causing the ATF mixture to be too rich. Check to see if it is fully open. You can also check to see what size burner orifice is installed.

Reactions: Chiefcamper
The cause of soot is more likely an incorrectly set air shutter, causing the ATF mixture to be too rich. Check to see if it is fully open. You can also check to see what size burner orifice is installed.
Thank you Daksy,

The orifice was labeled correctly for LP according to the manual, and the shutter was fully open. I closed it just a tad. Took it apart, cleaned it, burner looks like new, actually everything in there looks better than good. There were stickers stating the LP conversion, i was just blind and missed it before. Looking at the configuration of pipe I got with it looks very possible they were running too much horizontal but that's just a best guess. I did vacuum out the burner. I guess at this point there's nothing left to do but hook it up and hope for the best.

Thanks Again !!!!

The GF 600 is a great heater. I burned one for 3-4 years & my sister burned it for 4-5 more.
I have seen LP DV stoves with horizontal venting soot house siding if that vent cap is on the windward side of the house…

The GF 600 is a great heater. I burned one for 3-4 years & my sister burned it for 4-5 more.
I have seen LP DV stoves with horizontal venting soot house siding if that vent cap is on the windward side of the house…
That's exactly what was happening to the previous owner. My exit will be a simple 3ft length up and then another foot or so horizontal to make it through a block foundation for a side exit. Thinking I could add another elbow and more upwards length, then end with a vertical termination if sooting is a problem....TBH it's the foundation and cosmetics isn't really my main concern at that section of the home it's not really seen much, it is important to know it's burning cleanly and efficiently though.....

Reactions: DAKSY
Hi All,

Recently picked up a used GF 600 DV. Previous owner complained it was sooting up the side of his home. He was using propane and the stove doesn't have any propane conversion stickers on it. Anyone know where or if I can get the LP conversion kit ? I have a jotul dealer near me, I'm going to call as soon as they open today.

Thanks !!!!!
I know his termination was horizontal, ended against a sided exterior wall. I saw the soot stains he showed me. But looking at the length of pipe he included, there had to be at least one more elbow to connect to the top exit of the stove, possibly for more clearance on the back of the stove. This is what I'm hoping was wrong with his setup, and causing soot....

20230428_172256.jpg

If you are planning to do an up and out, hopefully you will use internal black Simpson Duravent, not that galvy. Minimum vertical rise on that stove is 24" before horizontal termination. Good get getting the big Jotul, sold many Firelights, superb heaters. If it doesn't have the blower, that is an easy, useful option. (Won't work in a power outage, but you'll like it when power is available). Adjust the air shutter and set the exhaust outlet (if that one has it) for the proper vent setup. Read the manual! Keep warm.

If you are planning to do an up and out, hopefully you will use internal black Simpson Duravent, not that galvy. Minimum vertical rise on that stove is 24" before horizontal termination. Good get getting the big Jotul, sold many Firelights, superb heaters. If it doesn't have the blower, that is an easy, useful option. (Won't work in a power outage, but you'll like it when power is available). Adjust the air shutter and set the exhaust outlet (if that one has it) for the proper vent setup. Read the manual! Keep warm.
Thank You for the Reply Stove Lark,

I did end up using the galvanized, it's certainly not pretty but for this application I didn't care and it's was included with the stove, as well as the blower kit and remote, which I just might switch out for a basic manual wall mount since my only purpose is heat I can count on during outages, when I'm not around so the house doesn't freeze. The home is totally electric which sounds like a nightmare, but I'm using a hyper heat pump which is 100% efficient down to about 5°fht.

I paid $700 for everything which seems like a steal. Seller was complain of the exterior vinyl siding continually sooting up at the exterior termination. (Vertical termination unit was included as well) the shutter was wide open, all I can figure is from the piping he gave me there were too many elbows too close to the stove and not enough rise.

My installation directly up and out of the stove, (3 ft), then one 90° elbow directly through a block foundation to the termination. Haven't run it much since the Temps are warm and I don't have a permanent propane supply in place yet, but it seems to be burning perfectly fine.

Having prior experience with Vermont Castings direct vent and others I assumed a 3ft rise for every one foot horizontal was correct. But looking at the manual, it almost seems as though they are discouraging any vertical runs since they start talking about baffles to reduce draft on intake and exhaust ports. From the manual, which seems to contradict what I believed, it almost seems as though they are saying the best termination would be straight horizontal to an exterior wall, but I could be wrong.

Thank you again for your informative response.

Joe

Hey Joe,
Almost every stove that is DV requires a vertical rise (especially propane units), normally minimum vertical is 24 inches, then horizontal termination. Good to hear she is working good, yes your price sounds like you got a great deal. Good luck with her. Keep warm.