GFI55 Assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChrisPF

Dec 20, 2019
Rocky Hill, CT
Hello All,

I am new to pellet stoves, just had a GFI55 installed last week. To be honest, I wish I did more research on the consumer end(like reading these forums which I have been for hours lately) before purchasing but this is what I have now. My wife and I just had our first baby and rushed into this in hopes to keep a much warmer home. A GFI55 heating a 1700 sq ft bungalow style home build in 1900. The walls are fairly well insulated now but with a house this old has its share of cracks and drafts. All original hardwood floors that are definitely not very air tight especially to the basement. I'm still figuring out how to really get this stove running efficiently. First of all, this was sized for my home by a local vendor/installer which I am wondering if I even have a large enough unit for my home now but I am not the expert. They did not install an OAK and said they rarely have in 15 years of installations. I feel a constant draft and feel like it would be very beneficial for that reason and just better air for the flame. Running at level 3 or 4 the temp in the room is only getting to around 70 and barely making it upstairs which is staying around 63-64. I've tried adjusting settings but not seeing much improvement. I do have ceiling fans up stairs pulling up and a couple small doorway corner fans spreading the heat around and towards the switchback staircase that is in the next room over approx 12 feet away. I've tried floor fans to bring cold air down the stairs but again not seeing much difference. I do need to get the stove adjusted correctly too as the flame seems to constantly fluctuate from 10 inches to barely at the top of the burn pot(even with the damper wide open to closed I get the same result). I will post pictures when I get home if anyone would like to see some. What are your thoughts on my setup? Sorry for so much information all at once but the vender isn't giving me much help and I would love some feedback from you guys. Thank you in advance!

A pellet stove is a space heater not a furnace!
It may but probably won't heat your whole house.
Some people claim they heat their homes with one
but the majority don't and can't. someone will be along
to help you get the most out of your heater.
Welcome to the forum.