Giant marble solar tracking/collection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracks sun and moon to make tricity.

Seems like it would be super expensive and require a lot of energy to produce

http://share.banoosh.com/2012/09/20/giant-marble-harvests-energy-from-sun-and-moon/

6a00d8341bf67c53ef017c31ed490b970b-800wi.jpg

It's a hollow glass ball so it would be less expensive to produce than it looks. But it is water filled which adds a lot to the weight. And the water would need a biocide to prevent algae buildup I would think. Wonder how much heat it produces at its focal point?

The dreaded solyndra "panels" had similar self tracking characteristics. Still available for $1.50 a watt on ebay.

It would be interesting to see the backup for how much power is being produced with moonlight.

Lacking any details on output and method of light to tricity. Put a bug underneath that thing. I wanna see something fry.

I'm not sure there's anything to collect from moonlight, seing as its reflected light but I'm with Jags...thats a rockin bug cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.