Glass Cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Goose52

Apr 28, 2014
NE WI
Made the first fire of the season this morning and maybe 10 minutes in there was a loud pop and there was a crack in the corner of the glass on the door. Just wondering how common this problem is. Anyone here have this happen to you? Fire feels good but letting it go out. No more fires until I replace the glass.
Mark

Yes, mine happened in mid summer, no fires, no reason. Good luck getting the manufacturer to stnd behind it, though. Reasons are stress in the glass. Glass not totally flat, door skewed, or in my case, the factory put the clamps on too tight. I loosened them a bit when installing the new pane. The manufacturer will likely assume you broke it hitting it with wood, and hard to prove otherwise. Good Luck. Good warrenty depends on a good conscientous dealer....... hard to find these days, as most are selling spas in the summer, and stoves are just something to fill the profit gap.

Yes, mine happened in mid summer, no fires, no reason. Good luck getting the manufacturer to stnd behind it, though. Reasons are stress in the glass. Glass not totally flat, door skewed, or in my case, the factory put the clamps on too tight. I loosened them a bit when installing the new pane. The manufacturer will likely assume you broke it hitting it with wood, and hard to prove otherwise. Good Luck. Good warrenty depends on a good conscientous dealer....... hard to find these days, as most are selling spas in the summer, and stoves are just something to fill the profit gap.
My unit is 8 years old so warranty help isn't happening. The store where i bought it ordered me the 11.5x13.5 replacement glass. $244. Ouch. Not finding that exact size online but i'm seeing replacement glass for other units for around $180. Meanwhile my wood stove at camp keeps putting out heat safely after 22 years. BTW if i could have fit a woodstove in my place instead of this fireplace, it would have been an alderlea like yours. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear that. The only time that happened to me was when I removed the glass to clean it and overtightened the clamps when I replaced it. Now I'm always super-careful to just get those things snug but not more.

Was there a clamp near where it cracked? I'm just speculating here, although it seems like tempered glass shouldn't crack unless it's under some sort of mechanical stress.

Man, I thought Vermont Castings overcharged for glass: but that's a pretty big piece you have I guess.

I replaced the glass gasket last year. There was a piece of gasket material between the clamp and glass. They were very flattened. So I cut small pieces of new gasket material that worked well. I replaced the screws thin new SS and used high temperature anti seize.
Also the glass in wood stoves is very special.

Appreciate the replies but i've been at camp and have trouble getting to this forum on my phone so i haven't responded. Finally got tired of waiting for the glass to come in from the fireplace store and i managed to source the glass locally for $117 and it arrived in 4 days. Now replacing the broken glass is a whole different issue. No fun! one screw broke n the bottom 2 are corroded probably from glass cleaner. Now i need to get some ceramic insulation to fit between the glass and the frame. so getting there!

Use a flat glass gasket to seal. They often have adhesive backing to make installation easier.
What stove is this for or is it for a ZC fireplace glass? I ask because some fireplaces leave off the gasket at the top of the glass for a basic airwash.

Use a flat glass gasket to seal. They often have adhesive backing to make installation easier.
What stove is this for or is it for a ZC fireplace glass? I ask because some fireplaces leave off the gasket at the top of the glass for a basic airwash.
The repair is for a Kozy Heat Z42CD. There is a white "gasket" between the glass and the cast iron door. It looks to be about 1/4" wide and maybe 1/16" thick. It is disintegrating as I work with it. I'm thinking of trying to replace it with some thin slices of the ceramic blanket insulation I use on my maple syrup cooker. If that doesn't work as planned I will try the seal you advise. It is much more substantial than the OEM gasket but I don't see why I it wouldn't work if I cut it to fit.