Glass door removal TEMCO MW280

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hokie8789

Feb 17, 2021
North Carolina
I have this model and have followed directions in the manual to remove the glass door. It will not budge. The instructions require removal of screws from top and bottom of panel and removal of six bolts that "attach" glass panel frame to unit. These are all removed and the door is obviously firmly attached another way. There are no levers anywhere. Does anyone have this model or any insight into how to remove this door?

DF1368CC-3DF6-49E7-BEF2-28EB367B8C56.jpeg

Attachments

• 791CC78E-0E13-4B0B-BFB4-EC24CC4B9D09.jpeg
    791CC78E-0E13-4B0B-BFB4-EC24CC4B9D09.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 143
  • BB4F5978-55ED-4F55-999A-AE6309C6324B.jpeg
    BB4F5978-55ED-4F55-999A-AE6309C6324B.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 7ECFF9B5-5DAC-428F-8981-81C278E4A61C.jpeg
    7ECFF9B5-5DAC-428F-8981-81C278E4A61C.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 139
Looks to me like all the EVIDENT fasteners have been removed, so
I'd say the gasket on the inside of the metal frame is stuck to the insert body.
It may take a little GENTLE coaxing with a flat bar to nudge it.
Start at a corner & work your way around. Don't try to pry it completely off
in any one spot. Just work it a little at a time. It should free up...

View attachment 274783
Looks to me like all the EVIDENT fasteners have been removed, so
I'd say the gasket on the inside of the metal frame is stuck to the insert body.
It may take a little GENTLE coaxing with a flat bar to nudge it.
Start at a corner & work your way around. Don't try to pry it completely off
in any one spot. Just work it a little at a time. It should free up...

That worked! It took some effort, but gradually broke loose. Thanks for the help! It was tightly stuck on it.
Now, to get it to light. Thinking it may need a thermocoupler. Dimly lights for a second only when switched on.

Does the PILOT light & stay on,
or is it the burner that lights &
goes out?

Pilot light stays lit only as long as you hold the button in. Also, there's a safety switch on the front of the glass. What is that for and does it need to be connected for the unit to work?

Last edited:
Pilot light stays lit only as long as you hold the button in. Also, there's a safety switch on the front of the glass. What is that for and does it need to be connected for the unit to work?
Sounds like a thermocouple, but I can't find the manual to see if your unit has one.
I also can't tell if it's a Direct Vent or a B-Vent unit. Can you post a pic of the rating plate, or a better pic of the gas valve?
If it's a B-vent, the switch you're talking about may be a high temp limit switch, but it shouldn't affect the pilot operation...
Do the wires from it trace back to the gas valve? What happens if you by-pass the switch with a jumper wire?

FFD885E6-DBF1-4E94-81F7-D8FA6370C62C.jpeg

Sorry for the delay. We have the manual. It is a direct vent per manual. Manual is not detailed at all - no part diagrams, etc... Here’s a picture of what we’ve got.

Thanks. Do you have a multimeter & are you handy with tools?
You will need to remove the thermocouple connector from the
valve in order to test it. Unfortunately, that connection appears
to be in the rear of the gas valve. It should be a 3/8" hex.
Once you have it out, you will have to touch the probes to the
copper sheathing & the very tip of the TCouple, while the pilot
is lit & knob is held in. You should get a reading of 28 - 31 mV.
If it's less than 28mV, it will need replacement.

Thanks. I will need to find the multimeter; I'm handy enough and should be able to handle this. Will respond back once I deal with this. Really appreciate your continued help and direction.

Okay, I was able to remove the thermocouple. Having trouble finding the replacement thermocouple. Can't find part number (not in manual, I've googled everywhere, etc...). Took to a few stores, and no match. Any suggestions for how to find this? I assume there are thermocouples out there that fit a number of different models, but I'm having trouble matching it up without part number.

Your manual should specify the valve model #. Looks like a Robert Shaw valve to me.
Take that number to your local hearth shop, or take the one you removed to an
Ace, True Value or local Industrial Supply & see if it can be matched.

Thanks. Working on it. Unfortunately, the manual that i have does not have parts diagram or list (maybe it's an incomplete manual). Will try to find an Ace or True Value nearby and hopefully will get a match. Thanks again for all of your assistance!