Glass doors with vented gas log set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

j345

May 14, 2020
Chicago
I just installed new glass doors on my fireplace and was planning to order a Peterson gas log set with G31 burner when I saw the following in the installation manual (page 8 - Installation Manual):

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.10.53 AM.png

"DO NOT install this burner system if the fireplace hearth is recessed. The fireplace floor must be at the same level as or larger than the fireplace front opening. An ash lip or recess may not exceed 3/4". See Fig. 8-1 below.

Note: If glass doors are used: the fireplace floor must not be blocked by the door frame; the frame must have openings to allow for fresh air circulation."

These are my doors: here

As it is now, the sliding damper at the bottom of the glass doors sits about 3" above the bottom of the firebox, which is clearly above the maximum 3/4" stated in the manual. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this requirement or if it would be safe for me to use the doors with the gas log set as is? Do I need to scrap my new doors and find another set with a lower damper?

I don't see an issue with this 3" lip unless Peterson has tested to an LP gas log,
& found that it's problematic.
Since LP is heavier than air, it will puddle & if that happens, & the entire "puddle"ignites at once,
it could create a hazardous situation.
NG probably wouldn't be an issue, since it's lighter than air.
Having said that, why not put some patio blocks or fire brick under the burner
& grate to raise the floor of the firebox to an acceptable level?

Reactions: Tech Guru