Glass getting black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbkeller

May 15, 2014
southwest CT
Hello.
Mt.Vernon quadrafire here. In reading all these wonderful posts (really, very helpful), I am realizing half my glass blackening within a day of cleaning it might not be normal?? It has happened with all pellets we've burned including:

PA Pellets (hardwood)
Wood Pellet Co. (hardwood?)
Vermont (softwood)
Spruce (softwood)

I am burning reputable pellets. Is there maybe a setting I can dial back? Something else to consider?

Thanks!

glass sooting up means one of 4 things in every case.

1 bad fuel (rare but it is a cause in some cases so I mention it)
2 air leak pulling air from somewhere not intended to be pulled from (gasket leak or mis-positioned burn pot or such) pellet stoves are set up to pull a certain amount of air for combustion , if a portion of this air is pulled from somewhere other than the intended pathway this reduces the available combustion air for the fire itself making the stove run "rich"
3 air restriction a blockage in the flue or the exhaust pathway between the fire and the exhaust blower. ash carries through the system and eventually will build to the point where the required volume of air cannot be moved resulting in the rich burn
4 overfeeding another rare one , a mis-programmed control system sending way more fuel to the fire than there is air to burn cleanly.

has this been happening since day one? or after the stove had been operated for a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.