Glass Hearth Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1268VT

Dec 12, 2018
Southern, VT
Just installed a Hearthstone Manchester last week in a brick hearth (former fireplace). In an effort to get the stove as far into the room as possible I only have 8" of clearance at the front before the wood floors begin. I know that I need to address this with a hearth extension. Here's my question... The floors are beautiful and I don't want to cut into them or cover them. My idea is to use 1/2" tempered glass (14"deep x "36" wide", with a beveled edge) in front of the stove to act as the hearth extension. My understanding is that the Manchester is "ember-only" and that non-combustible is the only requirement. Does this seem like it will work? If it will, can you walk on 1/2" tempered glass without breaking it?! Maybe a silly question :)

Thanks for the help in advance!

.An interesting idea. Cutting edge. But not practical as one oops and the shop vac will come out. A related temper glass story which may apply. I fix pinball machines and I once placed the top glass leaning against the garage door on the inside. The UPS driver came and I lifted this glass so the door could open and it exploded. The cold air coming in under the door cooled the bottom 1/2" of glass creating stress and all it took was moving it for it to shatter.

Last edited:
I can't say that it was an original idea... Morso actually makes full hearth pads out of glass for their stoves. I was just trying to go a cheaper route while preserving the beauty of the floors. I am worried about breakage... I just thought that the tempered glass may be strong enough. Darn.

Just installed a Hearthstone Manchester last week in a brick hearth (former fireplace). In an effort to get the stove as far into the room as possible I only have 8" of clearance at the front before the wood floors begin. I know that I need to address this with a hearth extension. Here's my question... The floors are beautiful and I don't want to cut into them or cover them. My idea is to use 1/2" tempered glass (14"deep x "36" wide", with a beveled edge) in front of the stove to act as the hearth extension. My understanding is that the Manchester is "ember-only" and that non-combustible is the only requirement. Does this seem like it will work? If it will, can you walk on 1/2" tempered glass without breaking it?! Maybe a silly question :)

Thanks for the help in advance!
I do custom shower enclosures, so I'm working with tempered glass all the time, you can walk on 1/4 " no problem..
The most critical area for tempered is the edges, it's fairly cheap, get a spare in case you drop your coffee cup on the edge...
Yep a buddy of mine did that with a big peice of 3/8 I gave him for his computer chair... Drop cup on edge----BOOM !!

.An interesting idea. Cutting edge. But not practical as one oops and the shop vac will come out. A related temper glass story which may apply. I fix pinball machines and I once placed the top glass leaning against the garage door on the inside. The UPS driver came and I lifted this glass so the door could open and it exploded. The cold air coming in under the door cooled the bottom 1/2" of glass creating stress and all it took was moving it for it to shatter.
Was the glass sitting on the concrete floor ??
If so, that's what likely caused it to explode..

so in your opinion, a 1/2" piece of tempered WILL be able to withstand? Don't want to spend the money unless the pros tell me I have a fighting chance.

so in your opinion, a 1/2" piece of tempered WILL be able to withstand? Don't want to spend the money unless the pros tell me I have a fighting chance.
Oh, hell yea !! If you were closer I'd give ya a piece to try..
I'd go with 1/4 to 3/8 though, with a FPE (flat polished edge), no need to spend extra to have it beveled..
The size you mentioned should'nt cost you more than about $80.00..

I have a piece of 1/4 " tempered on my carpeted office floor that I've been rolling an office chair between my desk and p/c for 16 years with no explosions..

Done properly it could work. Just don't drop any tools on it. Visit the thread that rearscreen posted (thx) for some useful comments and tips.

PS: I would have the front edge beveled.

Drolet also sells a 10mm (.4") thick glass hearth. Part # AC02703
GLASS HEARTH PAD 10 mm - 54" X 46 3/4"