Glass starting to etch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
I have noticed the top center of my glass is starting to etch and get cloudy and won't come clean. Gaskets are new, anyone else experience this.::-)

what are you using as a cleaner? I recommend glass range top cleaner rather than solvent-type cleaners such as Windex, etc. I have never seen glass etch, ever, in a pellet stove (coal is another story).......or, alternatively, mix a little pellet ash with water and scrub in a circular motion

You get into smokes stash? 4 posts on the same issue. Edit the others to say DELETE and a mod will remove them.

Never had glass etch on any of my stoves. Can you post a picture? Just one will do.

I see 5 :eek:

Defiant....Six posts for the same question?.....I know it was a mistake but damn, look at all the sharks that you brought into the waters!!! Aahhhh.

Anyway, my XXV glass has been "etched" from the first year that I have owned it. The burn pot in the XXV sits up so damn close to the glass that the flame sometimes pushes against the glass. Because the glass is coated with the "tinting film" it develops a funny looking spot on the glass. Some people gripe about it, others live with it. Me?....I don't look at it anymore so it does not bother me. Plus, being a Harman, it is so damn smart that it does not need to look good. Just one of dem' things.

Reactions: Defiant
Sorry, I am in VT using a friends lap top that I am not familiar with.::-)

Need A mod to delete duplicates for me I can't do it. No mods on now, HELP!!!

Defiant....Six posts for the same question?.....I know it was a mistake but damn, look at all the sharks that you brought into the waters!!! Aahhhh.

Anyway, my XXV glass has been "etched" from the first year that I have owned it. The burn pot in the XXV sits up so damn close to the glass that the flame sometimes pushes against the glass. Because the glass is coated with the "tinting film" it develops a funny looking spot on the glass. Some people gripe about it, others live with it. Me?....I don't look at it anymore so it does not bother me. Plus, being a Harman, it is so damn smart that it does not need to look good. Just one of dem' things.

yea, Einstein didnt look like Channing Tatum, but noone tried to change HIS looks!

Website is flaky this morning, causing double posts.

My P68 is cleaned only with Rutland Glass cleaner: same thing as stove top cleaner- no issues at all. Teresa's XXV is cleaned usually with stove top cleaner (sometimes windex when she runs out). She says she has a small area that came up just this week that wont clean. Maybe it is the layout of the XXV. I know that they all have the same dirty pattern no matter what pellet you burn.

Thanks, it is a small milky/cloudy area that won't wipe clean. A friend of mine also has it on his FS Accentra.

I used to get this on my XXV as well, try this. With the stove cold and the glass cleaned as best as you can, take a paper towel and get it damp with some water. Take the damp side and dab it into the ashes in the ash pan. Just lightly and look for the fluffy stuff. Rub the glass. Start with light increasing pressure. It will near clear it up. To be safe, try an inconspicuous area first.

Status
Not open for further replies.