Glowboy insert Central Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schmeg

Feb 5, 2008
Central Maine
Hello to all pellet pigs!

I've gone through a half ton of Northeast pellets so far, living in the Bangor Maine area. I as well as 30 or so people bought a Glowboy insert from Granville stone, and they also sold over 100 freestanding units, (I believe they may go under the part# Glowboy 120) it's not a Cheap Charlie but same maker (Dansons). The unit heats the house well with 2 issues that are unresolved.

1. The unit doesn't like long pellets (jams the auger) I have 1 ton of Northeast that have some pellets as long as 2 1/8th inches long. I know its a design limitation, not much I or anyone can do about it.

2. There are 4 feed settings. The highest setting (4) causes the combustion fan to cycle to very low speed for a few seconds then to high for a while causing a pulsing of the flames.

Granville sent out a tech to replace the board on the first service call because the board was getting a perminant dent in the off button. With that board I could alter feed settings during a burn and the convection fan would automatically increase with increase of burn pot activity. The new board doesn't do that, but the lowest convection fan setting seems a bit higher that the old board.

On the second service call, the techs replaced all 3 sensors in the unit. It worked on high for a few hours, with convection fan on low, but began pulsing after a few hours of operation.

I'm thinking the new board is at fault (maybe) because its not increasing the convection fan speed as internal temps of the stove increase and after a fashion one of the temp sensors goes whacky. Just my guess as a newbie.

By the way,,,,Granville Stone has been great with their service. I can't say anough about of their customer care.

Any thoughts? Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.