Glowing chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atward

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2008
Western NC
Hey all,
was just talking to the neighbors, and they told me a few weeks ago that my chimney cap was glowing red. They said it was around 9 pm. Is this normal? Have an insert with a ss insulated flexible liner. Also, this is my first season burning and went have been burning some oak that is not fully seasoned, so my fire has been running very hot at times

I just looked outside my house and had sparks coming out the top of my chimney. What does that mean?

Wish I knew whether one (or both of you) was kidding...

911 is a handy number to have memorized.

Peter B.

-----

You either had a chimney fire or your cap was dirty and it was burning off. You should check everything but your most likely good. It should be a lesson as you knew you were burning some questionable wood. If you are still burning questionable wood you will have to clean the chimney more often. Really wet wood can coat a chimney in just a few fires. The chimney can be clean but the cap is plugged. The temp change at the cap causes the creosote to build fast. Also if you have a screen on that cap they can plug fast.

You and your neighbor either saw an indication of a chimney fire or a UFO; probably the former.

Inspect and clean your chimney completely, or have it done by a competent professional ASAP, before your next use of the stove.

I have been burning some borderline red oak along with some nice ash, maple and birch. I have cleaned the pipes twice already, the second time being today. I would hate to think what it would have looked like today if I did not sweep earlier in the year. Does not sound too good in your case, glowing cap and all. I would inspect that ASAP...

Just got off the roof, and the liner has a thin layer (1/16 ") of creosote on it, the cap had a thicker layer, but none of the square openings were close to blocked. What evidence of a chimney fire should I look for?

Atward said:
What evidence of a chimney fire should I look for?
Well, the anecdotal evidence of the glowing red cap for one. Chances are, the metal finish would now be permanently discoloured.

Did it look like this? :bug:

Attachments

• hottub afterburner.jpg
    hottub afterburner.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,000
about a month ago I went out at night to empty the ash bucket and glanced at the chimney. The cap was glowing red! yarp! Go inside and check the stove temp - was good at 500. Back outside....still glowing! Then I realized it was the neighbors xmas lights reflecting on the underside of the cap ;)
Which is just as funny as the fact that for the first 2 months I keep hearing the dreaded freight train sound while sitting in the living room. Getting downstairs in a hurry to check the burner never resulted in anything.

There are RR tracks in my backyard, I was just not normally home when it came thru 2x per day. So . yeah.

yea man, i was tricked before by reflections, thought mine was glowing once, then as i moved around the yard i could see it was an illusion from a streetlight.
be safe, check it all uot and move on.

That is funny about the reflection, my neighbors did have red christmas lights all along their house this year, but they have been down for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.