GM joins Ford with access to Tesla charging network

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It looks like GM and Ford EVs will be able to charge at Tesla's widespread charging network. Initially, they will need an adapter, but GM and Ford models built in 2025 will switch to Tesla’s North American Charging Standard connector. This helps jumpstart the EV movement by opening up access to the well-established Tesla Charging network of about 17,000 charging stations and Tesla benefits from a larger flow of charging dollars. According to Musk, GM and Tesla vehicles would have equal access to the charging stations.

NACS for the win. It is the best standard. Now who will/can complete with Tesla. I really want some competition. If all we had were BP gas stations what do you think we would be paying????

Makes perfect sense. The legacy makers did not want to build out a national network, and have given up on waiting for someone else to do it.

This is one reason why I got a 3 year lease for my last EV... the tech is always changing. I could pick up an adapter, really a giant 'dongle' to use Tesla stations I guess. But I would still only charge at 55 kW (limited by the EV), so it might not be worth it. They cost like $250.

Flip side, this change might relieve congestion on my CCS chargers during year 3 of my lease. ;lol

Makes perfect sense. The legacy makers did not want to build out a national network, and have given up on waiting for someone else to do it.

This is one reason why I got a 3 year lease for my last EV... the tech is always changing. I could pick up an adapter, really a giant 'dongle' to use Tesla stations I guess. But I would still only charge at 55 kW (limited by the EV), so it might not be worth it. They cost like $250.

Flip side, this change might relieve congestion on my CCS chargers during year 3 of my lease. ;lol
To get federal money new charging stations will have to include CCS. So I think Tesla’s magic dock will continue to be implemented. I don’t think you will see any increased CCS charger availability during your lease.