Go back with the Englander 28-3500 or something else.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
Guys,

I came here 3 years ago after getting my new englander. Well, I burned for one season and my house has never been that warm and it was great despite the work involved. Well, my entire heat pump went out at the first of summer so I replaced it with a new Trane XR15 as well as the new indoor unit. Long story short, I sold the englander to a friend to help him out.

Should I go back with one just like it? It was good but I had cold coals the next morning and had to re lite. Partly because of wet wood. I didnt know what I know how about fully seasoned wood. So is there something better out there for $1000 of the englander? Most Ive seen have smaller fireboxes. I have to have it ducted into my system as well. The hotblast lines seems smaller?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chris

So is there something better out there for $1000 of the englander?
For that price, probably not.
Hotblast = no
Have this moved to the boiler room, you'll get more responses

I think I may even do the summers hear version. It's just a tick smaller but now that I remember, the 28-3500 kept my house above 80 if I wanted it to. It was plenty so backing down a little and saving an additional $200 wouldn't be to bad if an idea either.

My house is pretty evenly warm. So far this winter, I am thinking we have burned about 3.5 cords of wood. I probably could've cut that down a little bit as we were burning way back in October when we really didn't have to burn, at least not 24 hours a day.
I'm just starting to get into mostly oak. Prior to now it was mixed hard wood with a little bit of pine, mostly maple and a piece of oak here and there. My house is 1250 sq-ft not counting the basement where the furnace is. It will produce heat for 8 hours. More if I load it all with oak. This morning it was single digits and the house was still 68 degrees and the furnace was turned down for the long burn. Most of the time the house is 70-75.
I would love to burn 2 cords a year but reality of it is that if I wanted to burn only that much wood I would have to go back to a small stand alone stove hooked back up to my fireplace(previous situation) and the basement was freezing and the bedrooms were cold, and the wife wasn't happy.
Now she is happy and I'm walking around in shorts every day.

I like my 28-3500. May not be the most efficient but I do have an unlimited wood source and at least half my wood comes already logged up, so I just need to put it through the splitter.

Summers heat and the 28-3500 are the exact same unit. Just sold in diff stores. For the price, nothing touches them. I'm on year four with mine and burn 4-5 cords depending on temps (2500 sq ft). I know the tundras are more efficient, but I see too many posts with problems to consider one in light of how good the Englander works. With dry wood and a detailed eye I get secondary burn often and 8-10 hrs of good heat. Hot blasts are junk IMO.

I have the summers heat and I really like it. . . one thing I will say is that the customer service was very good! I emailed them like 2 or 3 times with questions regarding the install and they always got back to me with detailed answers and opinions regarding my setup

I have the summers heat and I really like it. . . one thing I will say is that the customer service was very good! I emailed them like 2 or 3 times with questions regarding the install and they always got back to me with detailed answers and opinions regarding my setup

What stinks is that it's on sale at lowes for $846 and it's "not available" in my area. I guess I'll try to look at Home Depot but they are $1099. Thumbs Down

What stinks is that it's on sale at lowes for $846 and it's "not available" in my area. I guess I'll try to look at Home Depot but they are $1099. Thumbs Down
Your local store can't order one for you? How far would you have to go to find one in stock...or "available"?

I emailed lowes and the replied to her. She said that they were not available in my area and I asked when they would be and she said she didn't know. I'll assume it's a north south east west thing. At 575 pounds, they probably have to do some planning to get them all over the country. I should be kicked in the rear for selling mine. I even offered my buddy profit for it back. No dice. Stinks! I'll get one if I have to suck it up and get the $1199 one at Home Depot.

FWIW, Lowes has 'em at $1199 around here.
You can buy HD discount coupons online for 5-20% off (I just got one for Lowes for 10%, cost me .99)

FWIW, Lowes has 'em at $1199 around here.
You can buy HD discount coupons online for 5-20% off (I just got one for Lowes for 10%, cost me .99)

thanks ill check it out.