Going back a few years.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Back in 2003 to about 2007 ,I came upon an Amish lumber mill about 55 miles one way from home,they sold oak and hickory blocks remnants from milling logs.For several of those years I went down there and hauled back hundreds of loads to be burned in my woodstove. The blocks were clean and for $15 a load shown here you had some primo heat.I kept it to myself,well the city folks were tipped off by dirtbags about the source and began flocking there in droves,well they brought their kids ,who ran wild through the lumber yard disrupting everything.
Soon the Amish capitalyzed on them and you could no longer load your own truck,they did with a loader,and the price now is about $75 a load nowhere like seen here.That source dried up for me due to cost. This is my last load in early 2007 on 2003 Tacoma 2700 lbs of hickory.The Amish said by me loading so heavy the trucks bearings and everything else would break,well it never happened the truck still runs today with about 300,000 miles. But has been replaced by a 2014 and now a 2016. My nephew still drives the 2003 regularly. All good things eventually come to an end.
hickory.jpg

I've gotten multiple loads (2'x4'x8' trailer heaping full, loaded) of 2"x2"x? Hard maple cutoffs for $30 locally. It's a great deal, I think, and gives me great control for shoulder fires that light and burn quick with just the right volume to prevent being cooked out of the stove room. As a bonus, I'll be making piles of biochar this summer using the same.

Running the risk of being a dirtbag, I get them from Michigan Maple Block in Petoskey. Call ahead to make an appointment. If they can raise the price, make a few more bucks, and maybe hire one more person in the community, I'm happy.