Going down to 13 degrees tonight & "Blue" secondaries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Temps dropping down to 13 tonight.

Stoked the Oslo around 9:30 pm tonight.

It is 11:10 pm and I still have 'blue' secondary 'phantom flames' dancing on the ceiling of the firebox in my Oslo.

Life is sweet! :)

I got some nice secondary flames in my new Oslo for a good while last night. What is the average length of time that I should expect them? Once they quit should you adjust your air control up to get more flames going or just let it coal on out the rest of the burn? BTW, that low of 13 will likely seem warm by this time next week and maybe for a good while afterwards.

Shari said:

It is 11:10 pm and I still have 'blue' secondary 'phantom flames' dancing on the ceiling of the firebox in my Oslo.

Those are pretty stoves even when they aren't burning! Take a pic so we can see it please... :)

Ray

Coach B said:
I got some nice secondary flames in my new Oslo for a good while last night. What is the average length of time that I should expect them? Once they quit should you adjust your air control up to get more flames going or just let it coal on out the rest of the burn? BTW, that low of 13 will likely seem warm by this time next week and maybe for a good while afterwards.

Coach - if temps are real cold and I want to reload sooner, rather than later, as soon as the secondaries are done (and the coaling phase has begun), I open the primary air at least 1/2 (sometime full) to start to burn the coals down. If it is a warmer day, and I don't want to add wood for, say 8-10 hours, I leave the stove closed down to keep the coals as long as possible. Cheers!

Shari said:

You are right Shari. Life indeed can be sweet it is just that once in a while a pickle is served. Some even eat ice cream with the pickle!

Status
Not open for further replies.