Gold to black surround/door painting and TV upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Before:

and AFTER:

Actually metallic black. Oh, and the budget committee (aka, Mrs. FPX) allowed me to put a 75" up there. Now, when I watch football, I see the QB throw it and I have to turn my head to see the catch, hahahaha...AWESOME!

Reactions: Rickb
Yes paint, Stove Bright Metallic Black, it's beautiful, has kinda a matte finish with a little sparkle to it, i'm really impressed. Follow the instructions, 10 mins kindling fire to 100 degrees, then 60 mins to 450 degrees, then another 60 mins to 650+ degrees it's and baked on. I actually let it air for 5+ days before I fired it up and had very little smoke or smell.

That front was available in metallic black originally, that brass was several hundred dollars more.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Did you have to scuff the brass up before painting?

Actually, no I did not scruff it up at all, which I should have. I did about 5 super super light coats and waited 30mins. between each. I was kinda concerned and that's why I let it air dry so long, but I went thru burn-in procedure, had very little smell and no smoke, and it's all good. I initially worried that it would drip onto glass or whatever and was told that if it doesn't adhere it would bubble and flake but none of that. I'm really happy with the color and how it turned out, highly recommend this flavor.

Reactions: Boxer
Can you send me pics of the firebox? Wondering the shape/size of it. What is the width in the back? What is the height from firebrick floor to baffle?

Trying to compare the 36 elite to the 42 apex

Looks good!

Last edited:
Looks real good! And I love that TV.

Reply'n to all in this post. Neck? NOPE, laying back in the recliner and the tv tilted forward it's perpendicular, even sitting upright it's very comfortable. Matte? I remember looking at that color but went with the brass, now this color is even better, it really pops. Duck? It's one of those steamers, the head comes off and you fill with water, then steam comes out the nostril holes. Worked ok when I had a freestanding, but obviously can't on this. Firebox? No clue, but I usually top it out with 5-6 splits of 18", I know debatable so I'd say it feels like ~25-30lbs of wood, best to google the specs and compare, but always go bigger if possible.

A couple notes on the install. The tv is 75lbs., and the mount is rated at 150lbs. I had to really MacGyver this thing to the wall to feel comfortable, it's 5/16 x 3" lag bolts in three studs. The arm extends ~30 inches and tilts ~80 degrees, at that range the physics says torque would be 185lbs. The shear on each bolt is somewhere around 250lbs so with 5+ bolts in total, I'm well over 1000lbs. capacity. Does seem kinda scary when I see it up there, but I gotta trust the ratings and the math.