Good deal on Carlton chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonelover

Sep 15, 2009
Southern NH
My apologies if this is the wrong forum, if so, mods please move it. But I wanted to share a good deal with you guys.

I beat the crap out of my chains and just replace them rather than sharpening them. That being the case, the less expensive the chain the better for me. Stocking up for this spring and came across www.clscatalog.com. They've got a handful or two of different Carlton chain loops for $8-11 depending on what size you need. I just ordered 11 of their 18" .325 .063 74 linkers for $10.25 apiece with shipping. The way they do their shipping charges is a little weird, you don't know what shipping will be when you initially place your order. Once they receive your order, if the shipping amount is less than $25 they'll email you and automatically proceed and ship the order. If shipping costs more than $25 they'll email you and await your approval. My shipping charge for 11 chains shipped from California to New Hampshire came to a quite reasonable $13.73. Anyway, might be worth a look because their base prices are way low.

Please send ur used chains to me. If you agree, I will PM you with my home address. I'll even pay shipping.:)

Really though, you need to learn how to sharpen ur chains. It's not that hard. There are a ton of filing jigs out there. The Husqvarna one is pretty decent and is cheap. The granberg is pretty versatile and reasonably priced. The timberline is the cadillac, but yields very good results. You're throwing your money away having one time use chains.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.

Reactions: TreePointer
Food for thought: I have yet to come across a new chain that is sharper than I can get it by filing it myself. Hand sharpening is worth investigating. IMO, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Food for thought: I have yet to come across a new chain that is sharper than I can get it by filing it myself. Hand sharpening is worth investigating. IMO, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

I here that !! just got a new full chisel oregon ,and it's not as sharp as the ones I have sharpened, AND I just learned/started sharping 2 weeks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.