Good Samaritans needed now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colebrookman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2008
Middlefield, Ma
According to the Today show some 30 states will see the sh.t hit the fan Tuesday and Weds. Most of us here are do it yourselfers and can take care of ourselves with few problems. Often our neighbors, for whatever reason, elderly, single parent, sickness etc are not as fortunate. Sometimes just making a phone call to see if they are alright makes all the difference in the world. Maybe clearing their roof, shoveling a walk way, or calling the Council on aging, the town hall or even 911 if more help is needed. Power outages are especially dangerous. Neighbors with health problems, young infants and the elderly cannot take the cold, hypothermia can be a killer. Take a minute to check their CO and smoke detectors, often they just forget but by looking in on them we can often spot dangers that they overlook. Thanks in advance for caring. Be safe.
Ed

Oh Yes! +10000

Weather sure has been weird. My Dad was telling me yesterday barely enough snow to ride snowmobile up in Maine.

I kinda miss having someone to take care of. I used to heip my dad out but since he has passed on I don't have any one that needs help. My few neighbors are all self suffecient and don't need help. no elderly or infants close by. I enjoy helping but don't have anyone close by that needs it.

NATE379 said:
Weather sure has been weird. My Dad was telling me yesterday barely enough snow to ride snowmobile up in Maine.

Northern Maine . . . southern Maine and central Maine is prime sledding . . . and more on the way Wednesday . . . the County has been hard hit . . . and as you can imagine with a good number of businesses relying on sledders this doesn't help . . . co-worker has a place he rents in Frenchville which in the past has always had snow early and even when nowhere else had any snow . . . until recently he was sending back folks' deposits since there just wasn't enough snow to sled.

Yeah that makes sense. My brother lives in Hodgedon and he said they got about 1.5 feet over the last week. Course that kind of snow isn't abnormal so no one freaks out over it. I'd seriously doubt if they'd even call a school snow day for it.

NATE379 said:
Yeah that makes sense. My brother lives in Hodgedon and he said they got about 1.5 feet over the last week. Course that kind of snow isn't abnormal so no one freaks out over it. I'd seriously doubt if they'd even call a school snow day for it.

Not to sound old . . . but when I was a kid . . . no . . . today however in this age of lawsuits and parents getting upset if their children come home early or are on the road and the snow starts to hit the ground . . . they often cancel school even if there is a threat of snow later in the day.

I've got 3 neighbors with broken snowblowers. We all bought 3 years ago when we had a bad Winter, and now its time for adjustments but no one can figure out how to fix them.

btuser said:
I've got 3 neighbors with broken snowblowers. We all bought 3 years ago when we had a bad Winter, and now its time for adjustments but no one can figure out how to fix them.

Google is your friend!!
Ed

woodsmaster said:
I kinda miss having someone to take care of. I used to heip my dad out but since he has passed on I don't have any one that needs help. My few neighbors are all self suffecient and don't need help. no elderly or infants close by. I enjoy helping but don't have anyone close by that needs it.

Easy fix, just check with your council on aging,COA, or town hall. There are good people out there that can use your skills and caring. Many new friends to make and they all have interesting stories to tell. Just take that step. Be safe.
Ed

NATE379 said:

i dont know what part of maine your dad lives in, but where i am, about the halfway point between waterville and bangor, we have about a foot of snow. southern parts may be less, but i have a feeling they will get plenty tues and wed!

edit: forgot to add.... my dad is getting up there now, my mom passed last january, so i spend quite a bit of time with dad. i do most of his repairs around the house for him now, as his good friend arthir is not so nice to him. i also have a neighbor,just across my lawn, who is 87 yrs old. every snow storm, my daughter and i go over during clean ups, and keep his front and back steps cleaned off for him, and shovel out his mailbox, salt his walkways. he keeps trying to pay me,and i dont except his money, he tries to give it to my daughter, and she says "dad wont take it, and would rather not". doorbell rang saturday afternnon, and the neighbor was standing there with a box full of groceries for us , and his son beside him. his son says " his dad is very greatful for our help and wants us to have this gift, so just shut-up and except it already"...lol

NATE379 said:

grew up in that town.

But i do feel bad for southern new england. too much snow too often. Yes, check on your neighbors, or anyone that has no tracks outside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.