good splitting wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I think I must be going crazy. I have a splitting wedge that is about to give up the ghost, and I cannot find another like it. All the other ones I've tried do not work as well.

Here's what's special about it, and what I think makes it work better than others: The sides of it are slightly convex, not just straight (see pic). I think that allows it to get firmly stuck into the log before it starts widening out and doing its work. The wedges I've tried with the straight sides, even the ones with straight sides plus little serrations, tend to go in an inch or two and then next time I whack 'em, they just bounce right out of the wood. It's exasperating.

Another thing about mine, probably not as critical, is that (if you look at it from the other aspect as my drawing) the sharp edge flares out some, is a bit wider.

Anybody know where I can find one of my old one ? Am I the only person who still splits wood by hand ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.02.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.02.00 PM.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 142
I'm not sure where to find the wedge you posted in your image but if you're willing to try another design, I would highly recommend the European twisted wedges made of aluminum:

61ZZY4i36mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the one I use and it's worked better than anything I've used previously!! It takes a moment to get it started in the wood, but once it's in there the twisted design "spins" as you hit it and just pops the wood apart. I've successfully gotten apart knots and crotches with this, and all manner of pine!

Reactions: Old Red
I mushroom the heads on steel wedges with the 10 pound sledge, I am sceptical of how an aluminum wedge would hold up.

I mushroom the heads on steel wedges with the 10 pound sledge, I am sceptical of how an aluminum wedge would hold up.
I borrowed an aluminum one from my neighbor, and I do not like it (not a skinny enough taper so bounces out) but it seemed remarkably tough.

No way I'm gonna spend more than $20 on a damn wedge though.

I have got 4 splitting wedges, and this is the one I always use to start a split. It will not pop out like my other ones. You can probably get it at any Ace hardware.

I have got 4 splitting wedges, and this is the one I always use to start a split. It will not pop out like my other ones. You can probably get it at any Ace hardware.

Haha, I bought this EXACT one last night at Lowe's, thinking it looked like it might be good. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds encouraging, thanks !

A little time with a right angle grinder or bench grind might cure your difficulty on the straight side wedges. Another wedge to try is a torpedo wedge in steel not alum. About $20 on Amazon likely close to the same at various stores as well. i've had one for about 20 years. I do not split much by hand anymore, body parts protest, have a hydraulic unit. once in a while something gets real stuck on the splitter and needs some special persuasion.
Alum. and plastic wedges are for holding open cuts in logs/trees when felling , bucking, or milling so as to not pinch the saw blade or help direct the fall direction.

If you are mushrooming the head of your wedge you need to grind that off, or risk a trip to the ER for chip removal or worse.

Reactions: kevin j
20 bucks is too much for a wedge, hold it, set it, smack the hell out of it, bend over, pick it up, rinse and repeat.... Lemme tell you a quick story. A good friend called me one day and told me Fleet Farm had a $1200 SpeeCo, that they were regularly selling for 850, on sale for 750, clearance, then another 25% off for buying a clearance item, then, another 10% off for using the Fleet Farm credit card. So with tax, it was 560 something. I had an old home built that serviced me well for 35 years. I decided to pull the trigger and was going to sell the old one for 350. I looked on Craigslist and there wasn't anything listed, but, before I listed it I called a good friend and offered it to him for 250. So I have like $255 cash involved in a new splitter. (and I have burned 7 or so cords per year since 1984. Not only ain't I bending over to pick up my wedge 4 times when it bounces, the splitter is horizontal/vertical, so I don't have too pick up rounds that weigh more than I do (at 67 years old)

If I can split it with one smack with an 8 or 6 pound maul, I am OK with that. (although, I loved it when my kids were young and naive enough to act as pin-setters for me) the EASIEST way is the best way. Hells bells, bending over and lifting 20 to 100 pounds a hundred times is more than enough work!

If you are mushrooming the head of your wedge you need to grind that off, or risk a trip to the ER for chip removal or worse.

I grind them off, repeatedly, I am a metalsmith by trade, I understand also understand why mauls, hammers and wedges must be soft steel (and why the faces become work hardened). In reality, tossing the wedge in the fire once in a while to anneal it helps substantially with the risk of chipping. Ever smack a chunk of granite with a 10 pound sledge and had a piece of stone get ya? No emergency room but a long string of bad words.

.I have a good horizontal/vertical splitter, but I still have a need for splitting wedges. My mechanical wedge on my splitter is only abut 7 in. tall, so that is as far as I can get into a very large round vertical. On the big knotty ones, I have to tighten up the vertical splitter, and then put a wedge in the center eye, and one opposite it on the other side. Then I alternate hitting the wedges and putting pressure on the splitter until I can get a crack going all the way across the very large round. Once it is in half, then I am in business with the splitter.

I am a fan of the torpedo wedges, in most cases. I have owned two because I broke the first one. It was very cold and I was splitting some pretty stubborn stuff. 90% of the time, it works better then a traditional wedge. But it does pop out easier in really wet stuff.

I am a fan of the torpedo wedges ..
Wait, remind me what is a "torpedo" wedge ? (It IS my favorite beer). The wedge from post #8 is looking good in preliminary testing here.

I split all of mine by hand and usually have some of my friends younger kids (age 6 and up) helping split. I LOVE the Estwing offset one but have a bunch of the diamond pointy ones from Harbor Freight and one twisted 4lb one from Walmart (like the aluminum one up there but heavy and cheaper). I don't have any issues with them popping out so I get them started and supervise the kiddos while they bang away with 2lb hammers haha.