Google Maps show solar potential

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Service is no where near us yet!! Interesting use of data though. Found info on Mapdwell that launched a in 2013 https://www.mapdwell.com/en . They are more international in scope with only a few US cities. Again, nothing near us.

Nothing near me either, but wait until they get serious and build an algorithm to utilize stereo imagery from the google map car photos to map the trees relative to the location of your roof.

Combine orthorectified aerial imagery with geolocated terrestrial imagery shot with a decent lens. After you have those items, it's just a matter of a bunch of math. `Google has plenty of computing power at their fingertips...

Nothing near me either, but wait until they get serious and build an algorithm to utilize stereo imagery from the google map car photos to map the trees relative to the location of your roof.
No need. According to the Goog, Project Sunroof already takes into account:
  • Google's database of aerial imagery and maps
  • 3D modeling of your roof
  • Shadows cast by nearby structures and trees
  • All possible sun positions over the course of a year
  • Historical cloud and temperature patterns that might affect solar energy production
It's certainly a more scalable way to estimate solar potential than my idea to survey roof shading with drone flyovers at several different times of the year. Though I think expanding the data to include more cities/countries will be slowed by the inclusion of cost estimates and local incentives. It could be slow to add in all the varying tax rebates, utility incentives, and REC/net metering rules for different locations. It would be nice if they allowed people to look up their address everywhere, even if the estimated cost displayed wasn't modified by particularized incentives or the rates of local installers.

The University of Minnesota has done the same with the State of Minnesota. Locate your home or site and the solar potential is shown. UofM

The University of Minnesota has done the same with the State of Minnesota.
Nice, I passed that link along to two of my cousins and a friend from college who live in MN.

Status
Not open for further replies.