Got a chain grinder!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chains get cleaned in a media blast unit using ground corncob. I can then see what the wear/dull/ rocked/ect. factor is for sharpening purposes. Parts washer system could be used also but then you need to let the chains drip dry awhile. Just my way of doing it. Chains are dry and do not collect grit from grinding this way. If you have just a few , Gunk engine cleaner works in a container big enough that you can use a brush in with high enough sides so you are not splashing the cleaner all over. ( kerosene works ok as well, just doesn't always get all the pitch off at times) Naphtha might work ok as well never tried it. I have used fuel oil as well in a pinch.

Reactions: smokinj
Chains get cleaned in a media blast unit using ground corncob. I can then see what the wear/dull/ rocked/ect. factor is for sharpening purposes. Parts washer system could be used also but then you need to let the chains drip dry awhile. Just my way of doing it. Chains are dry and do not collect grit from grinding this way. If you have just a few , Gunk engine cleaner works in a container big enough that you can use a brush in with high enough sides so you are not splashing the cleaner all over. ( kerosene works ok as well, just doesn't always get all the pitch off at times) Naphtha might work ok as well never tried it. I have used fuel oil as well in a pinch.

2 511a's on the way that's going to be a very nice set-up

Thanks Smokinj, these are the ax units, got one set up late yesterday. Fooled with it just a bit on a junk chain, I will know more on how they work out later today. Been way overdue to replace the existing grinders. The new clamping system is quite an intelligent redesign. At first glance it looks the same but on closer inspection the bar clamp rails are independent of each other and do not rely on the steel to spring back or spacers at either end. It is not a cam action in the middle either, but a true vise action. So going from a 50 to 63 thickness drive does not require any adjustment. The tilt feature to stay away from grinding into the off side tie strap is much steeper than previous unit. The whole vise assemble is adjustable fore and aft to accommodate wheel diameter shrinkage allowing you to keep the wheel axis centered over the chain. Something that my very old BelSaw unit had. First impressions are very favorable. Except for a couple knobs and guards the unit is made of some type of Alum. alloy material including the vise clamp and head angle levers. Single direction grind away from operator .

Reactions: smokinj
chain grinders 004.jpg
chain grinders 003.jpg
So here are a couple pics of my set up for sharpening chains, The old unit Foley 394 resurrected, used for depth gauges the other 2 are 511ax's

Status
Not open for further replies.