Got a line on a 100 year old dead Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
....and it's been raining, and had a prior commitment.....I hope there is some left when I get there...someday:(. If it is truly "dead"....do you think it may be ready to burn this winter ?? (I know....MM)

If it's soft maple, yep. It'll burn well this winter coming. Split it small, cross-stack it where it gets sun and air movement and you'll be all set.

It was year before last, I believe... I CSS around a half cord of red maple, green off the stump. In July if memory serves. I do remember how hot and sweaty it was. Anyhow, I waited to burn it near the end of winter. It burned nicely. Good and hot.

Reactions: Beer Belly
I've got a bunch of red maple thank goodness cause my oak still needs another year. I stumbled up on this small dead standing one yesterday morning. Most of it is around 20% right now
20140802_071840.jpg 20140802_071929.jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
I did manage to clear a few hours in my schedule to check it out.....BIG Maple, a tangled mess on the ground, spent a lot of time cutting, looking for the "good stuff", and not the rot....also had to study virtually every cut so I didn't get nailed with a piece rolling or falling....one truck load. On the way to work this morning, I passed by a house that I got wood from 3 years ago, saw a car with the hood up in the driveway, had some time, and figured I'd stop to see if I could help.....sorta payback for the wood they gave me. Turns out those people sold the house to this couple, and when I asked if they needed help the guy said "no, just checking things".....I explained why I stopped, and how I got wood from the previous owners, and was hoping to return the good deed.....they said "You want wood ?....I got a lot of seasoned stuff....Ash, Maple ,Cherry, and Locust....stop over this weekend and I'll show you the piles, you can have it all !!"....from the one pile I saw, my worries of wood this season may be over....what a day !.....I know...pictures, I'm bad when it comes to pictures, gotta take'em, load'em, copy and paste.

I've been seeing lots of dead and dying maples this season
We have 6 Maples in our backyard that are in trouble, but they are near structures, and would require someone with experience, and a bucket, and the cash flow is just not there

We have 6 Maples in our backyard that are in trouble, but they are near structures, and would require someone with experience, and a bucket, and the cash flow is just not there
I have some dead in the big oak between the house and garage that will need a bucket or brave climber (not me ;) ) and we have the same cash flow problem. Kids getting ready to go back to school. Thats the same tree the limb fell from onto my company truck and busted the windshield a few weeks ago

I have some dead in the big oak between the house and garage that will need a bucket or brave climber (not me ;) ) and we have the same cash flow problem. Kids getting ready to go back to school. Thats the same tree the limb fell from onto my company truck and busted the windshield a few weeks ago
<>

Status
Not open for further replies.