Got it made in the shade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I finally got around to making an umbrella holder for my splitter. For years I've been messing with a cast iron patio umbrella holder and piling heavy rounds onto it to keep the wind from blowing it over. Then I finally got smart and started tying it to the splitter with a bungee cord but it was a PITA every time I wanted to move the splitter a few feet.

Anyway here's a couple of pics of it. I screwed up on where I drilled the detent hole as the crank now faces the wrong way. I'm going to drill another hole a quarter turn over. Of course the killer guard dog had to get in on the pic.
100_0328.JPG

100_0327.JPG

Oh, and in another thread someone asked about how to drain the oil. Here's a pic of the drain plug on the bottom. It's a PITA to drain the oil from the bottom. I should put on a Drainzit extension.
100_0329.JPG

That's priceless. Where is the cooler and the beach chair?

So, that's to keep the snow off of you while you're working outside?

EH, that white stuff in the background ain't no white sand beach. It's SNOW! I can just stick the beers in the snowbank.

Thats cool. Can you take a wide angle shot with the umbrella deployed?

Jamess67 said:
Thats cool. Can you take a wide angle shot with the umbrella deployed?

As you wish.

100_0331.jpg

Oh, and I drilled a new detent that puts the crank in a better place.

100_0330.jpg

I'll take a polish with kraut & mustard, bag of chips, and a Dr. Pepper. Rick

You want your bun toasted?

LLigetfa said:
You want your bun toasted?

:lol: No thanks, LL, that's happened to me way too many times already. I think what you did is very cool. When I built my woodshed, I intentionally left a 6'x8' corner unfloored but under roof. If I need to operate my splitter and it's too hot or too anything else out, I can do it in there. But lots of times I want to take the splitter to the wood, and sometimes an umbrella mounted to the splitter would be just the ticket. Very chic...you're raising the bar of woodsplitter's luxury. Enjoy it...I know I would! Rick

I like to park the splitter as close as possible to the stack of rounds and I keep moving the splitter as the stack diminishes. It's easier to toss the splits farther than to carry the rounds farther.

I often setup the umbrella on its cast iron stand when working on something in direct sun like digging out a stump. When I was doing major landscaping like building my stoop and patio, I setup a portable 10'x20' gazebo not only to keep me in the shade but also to keep sun and rain off of the concrete. I also used the same gazebo over at my wood processing area until a nasty storm ripped it to shreds and mangled the frame. I've had three of them mangled over the years despite tying them down with anchors so I've given up on them. Even the umbrella in the pic has had the knuckle busted in a storm and no longer tilts. I have another smaller one that still tilts if I need it to. The two detent positions will allow me to tilt it in any direction.

Google Earth sat image of my place (low res) is from 2006 and shows my old white portable shelter that was destroyed that year.

Attachments

• MyPlace.jpg
    MyPlace.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 256
Status
Not open for further replies.