Got my bargain splitter! DHT 22T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Quite sure I've read a few places/times that they're out of business?

Going through bankruptcy, IIRC. No longer in the Lowe's stores in my area. It's my understanding they are effectively out of business, though I did buy a replacement 35t cylinder from them just before Christmas, and "Paul" has been responsive (but slow) on email.

Small update--we had an unseasonably warm day yesterday, and I was able to get back to the splitter--it now runs like a champ, and I feel like it is now baselined:

1. Carb swap: I looked at parts and they were more expensive than buying a bargain carb. It turns out to be marked Harbor Freight on the box) from Amazon. The gas shut off is different (and a nut was left loose out of the box where it has a second small bowl under the shutoff--Doh!). Installed and I have only a hint of seeking, and no more stumble. May be cheaper directly from HF?
Only change is that the gas shutoff lever is shorter than original, but it is still usable.
Part here: Carb

2. Drained oil and refilled--it was pretty dirty--I guess with splash lubrication all the crap settles instead of being filtered out. I was able to get my car drain pan under the trailer end, most of the oil got into the pan through the hole in the motor mount plate. (While I was at it, I did the lawnmower too to get ready for spring.)

3. Swapped the hydraulic filter (I reused the fancy seal on the DHT one, because it covers the edge of the filter can so crap can't collect). Cleaned everything thoroughly beforehand, caught the fluid lost in a clean container, and then filtered it in a funnel to put it back into the system. Fluid seemed clean, and no weird smells.
I used the Wix one from Amazon here: Filter

In the intervening time--the small supply of the log catchers I saw on eBay were snapped up--and I hesitated for a day and the last few of the large tables on DHT were also purchased--drat! So I will probably figure out a way to make my own--wish I still had access to Dad's shop and a full complement of metal working tools...

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys.

Not to flog a dead horse, but just a final update--Sloeffle and I agreed on a price for his surplus table that fit exactly, and was kind enough to ship it to me, so now I feel like I'm set up.

I towed the beast over to a neighbor's--he had trees that fell and a couple that he had taken down, and got the tree guy to cut them into rounds and leave them. Dragging the splitter up the hill into his back yard was no fun, but I got set up, and put in three good days (for an old guy) and barrowed nice split wood back down the hill and into the pickup. I probably have another three days of work, and I should have my wood for next year.

It is so great to be able to tip monster rounds of red oak onto the splitter in vertical, stack the quarters, then switch to horizontal, and split to burn size!

Reactions: sloeffle
One more update--I parked the splitter in March--just before the COVID shutdown, got busy doing everything else, so when I got back to the splitter, I couldn't get it to start. Drained the gas (again)--but this time I took the gas tank completely off, so I could give it a full cleaning.

To make the rinsing and draining easier, I undid the tank connection and took it out--and found a reed valve (?) on the inlet end. The pipe dope (or silicon) that they had used for assembly had clogged the action of it, so I cleaned that up, new silicon tape to go back together, and 'while I was there' I picked up a new piece of fancy clear gas line and put that in (with a proper screw clamp on the tank end). Gave the carb a quick clean (and emptied float bowl)...and...

Running like a champ--and the little bit of hunting/surging I was getting in the spring is totally gone! So I'll call that a win. Split a whole bunch of dead fall ash today (ash borers are killing the ash all over this area).

Reactions: DodgyNomad
I think DHT went bankrupt? I noticed a 25 ton splitter (just one) at Home Depot. Must have been last year's model. I have the 22 ton model, too. I hope I don't need any parts in the near future.

Run some Seafoam in their once in a while ..

Reactions: paredown
Parent ( holding?) company of DHT did file for Bankrupcy quite awhile ago. One of the reasons were problems with Chi-com suppliers.

I have the same exact splitter and it splits anything. What a great find. Mine came with the log Cradle. I did the hydro filter the other year.. I used a napa filter. keep it covered up if your not putting it in a garage.. keep us posted

Reactions: paredown