Got my chimney swept for free!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
I had an overnight fire and had raked the coals to the front of the stove. It had cooled to the point that the thermometers weren't registering.

I was doing my daily tasks to get the house ready to sell and my wife says "the chimney is making a noise, sounded like stuff was falling down" I thought "Oh no, the chimney will need to be swept". I got over to the flue an give it whack with palm of my hand. Nothing. Then I hear the distinct sound of a bird flapping. Sounded like it was at the top elbow of the flue in the living room, 8 feet down from top of chimney.

So I get my light and screw driver and shimmy out the spine of the roof, remove the top 2' section of pipe and the cap, thinking maybe it will see the light at the end of the tunnel and fly out. No bird in sight. So I go back inside and whack the flue again and got a response. It's sitting on the flue thermometer, 18' above the heater. So I raked the warm coals to the back and removed the thermometer.

I looked through the glass and there set a defeated looking male blue bird staring out at me. Used a gloved hand to catch it, took it outside and tossed it up. He was glad to fly away briskly. After the ordeal, I removed the baffle and about a half gallon of soot had collected on top. Some of it was probably already there. The chimney and flue didn't appear to need sweeping (after two years) so I cleaned the heater, put it all back together and good to go.

So all of this begs me to wonder, does a bird think that a flat brown 6" chimney and cap is a tree? I never had a problem in three years before the roofer painted it without my consent. Maybe a factor it the paint or no paint discussion.
img_1278-jpg.jpg

Thankfully, the parts are on order and I will have a non-tree-looking chimney and cap shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve commented on this before....blue birds have a thing for chimneys. I’ve had numerous blue birds in the stack. Normally in the spring though. But you’re well south of me.

I’ve commented on this before....blue birds have a thing for chimneys. I’ve had numerous blue birds in the stack. Normally in the spring though. But you’re well south of me.

We have a large population of eastern blue birds. Always competing for nesting space. I have two boxes and they fight for the real estate. Maybe this one thought the chimney was a high rise apartment.

The only birds ever in my chimney have been blue birds. They are called cavity nesters.

We have a large population of eastern blue birds. Always competing for nesting space. I have two boxes and they fight for the real estate. Maybe this one thought the chimney was a high rise apartment.
My chimney cap has no screen. I now put my makeshift bird screen it for the spring/summer. Don’t want to see dead birds in the stove. I’ve saved some from the stove but they don’t all make it.
D0069500-C87A-47A5-9112-BF68F6572081.jpeg

The only birds I get near the chimney pipe are the ones seeing their reflection on the outside, and thinking they are competitors. They will peck for hours at that bird in the mirror.

Last edited:
Twice I've had tree swallows come down my chimney. Once I rescued the bird from the stove, the second time I found one dead at a base of the inside of a house window - suppose it probably came down the chimney and worked its way out the back air port of my old VC - beautiful bird, so it was a sad sight.

Birds aren't that bright, they have bird brains, just looking for warmth.

Reactions: spudman99
I have a "bird-proof" cap on my chimney and Grackles still get in. When the dogs are watching the Heritage window like
my kids watch tv, I know to begin rescue efforts. :)

You might be onto something, catch a few grackles, drop em down the chimney, repeat til chimney is clean and set em free. Seems the least they could do for me since they are always raiding my bird feeders. Save me digging out my brush. Hmmmm

Reactions: ispinwool
No, there’s more to it. It’s almost always spring/summer when these blue birds find their way into the chimney. They are certainly attracted to class A chimney for some reason.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
I had an overnight fire and had raked the coals to the front of the stove. It had cooled to the point that the thermometers weren't registering.

I was doing my daily tasks to get the house ready to sell and my wife says "the chimney is making a noise, sounded like stuff was falling down" I thought "Oh no, the chimney will need to be swept". I got over to the flue an give it whack with palm of my hand. Nothing. Then I hear the distinct sound of a bird flapping. Sounded like it was at the top elbow of the flue in the living room, 8 feet down from top of chimney.

So I get my light and screw driver and shimmy out the spine of the roof, remove the top 2' section of pipe and the cap, thinking maybe it will see the light at the end of the tunnel and fly out. No bird in sight. So I go back inside and whack the flue again and got a response. It's sitting on the flue thermometer, 18' above the heater. So I raked the warm coals to the back and removed the thermometer.

I looked through the glass and there set a defeated looking male blue bird staring out at me. Used a gloved hand to catch it, took it outside and tossed it up. He was glad to fly away briskly. After the ordeal, I removed the baffle and about a half gallon of soot had collected on top. Some of it was probably already there. The chimney and flue didn't appear to need sweeping (after two years) so I cleaned the heater, put it all back together and good to go.

So all of this begs me to wonder, does a bird think that a flat brown 6" chimney and cap is a tree? I never had a problem in three years before the roofer painted it without my consent. Maybe a factor it the paint or no paint discussion.
View attachment 240786

Thankfully, the parts are on order and I will have a non-tree-looking chimney and cap shortly.
What parts are on order?

Not a wood stove but my grandmother's cat was making a fuss in front of the fireplace. She had a sheet of plexiglass over the opening to block the cold air. She looks in the there and looking back at her is a fairly large owl sitting on the grate. She pulled the covering off and reached in and grabbed the owl. Walked to the front door and set it free. She said it didnt even try to fight her. Seemed to know she was rescuing it. The chimney was just brick with no clay liner. I remember as a kid that it always gave them trouble trying to burn it.

I had a squirrel get into one of my Jotuls, my first year burning. Destroyed the refractory parts of the stove, before I got him out.

Removal was simple, dropped a rope down the chimney, and wrapped the stove in a blanket. When the sun came up the next morning, he saw the light coming down the pipe, and made his way out.

Reactions: Ludlow
Not a wood stove but my grandmother's cat was making a fuss in front of the fireplace. She had a sheet of plexiglass over the opening to block the cold air. She looks in the there and looking back at her is a fairly large owl sitting on the grate. She pulled the covering off and reached in and grabbed the owl. Walked to the front door and set it free. She said it didnt even try to fight her. Seemed to know she was rescuing it. The chimney was just brick with no clay liner. I remember as a kid that it always gave them trouble trying to burn it.

Your Grandma is a lot braver than me, no way I would just reach in and grab an owl! Maybe with welding gloves on.....more power to her!

Reactions: ispinwool

Well, this is an outright discriminatory and racist comment. Talk about orniemisoginy. Bird brain indeed. How bright is it too denigrate all birds based on the behavior of a few who are downtrodden and in need of shelter. If only you could fly a mile on their wings you might have more compassion to the plight of our feathered neighbors. You just might find they are not all that different than yourself. Just trying to raise a family and get by each day in this turbulent world.

Reactions: Nigel459 and Ashful
Your Grandma is a lot braver than me, no way I would just reach in and grab an owl! Maybe with welding gloves on.....more power to her!

She's been gone for quite awhile, but she had a knack with animals. Had the squirrels trained that they would come into her kitchen and line up on the counter and she would hand feed them peanut butter bread one by one. Then they would get down and go out the door. Its been a long time but I think she said she threw a blanket over the owl and then grabbed it up. I do recall she said it didnt fuss very much at all. It might have been in there for a while and was taking a chance on the old lady.