Got one stove working tonite....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
GEDC0915.JPG I pulled my St. Croix Greenfield out of it's resting place in my shop this week. Some of you know it's a corn stove that also is pellet capable... but it's a better corn burner than a pellet stove IMHO.

My buddy Jim has been storing his England pellet stove in my shop for a year since he moved out of his former digs... he had been using it in his shop. We had talked about installing his stove in the part of my shop that's usually unheated but we never pulled the trigger on that project.

So tonite I had two of my young helpers (with weak minds but strong backs) help me lift the St. Croix onto my mobile cleaning dolly so i can clean it in preparation for selling and/or trading it. We also installed the England it the St. Croix's former spot and poured in a few pellets and fired it up... seems to work fine.

It will be a small step backward running a stove without an ash pan and also having to scrape the burn pot every day but that's OK. As long as I have heat I'm OK with that.

I know the England stoves are solid citizens of the pellet world and now I can get a little experience with another stove... never a bad thing .

Here's the Greenfield on my dolly and the England working to keep my stuff warm...

GEDC0914.JPG

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Been a lot of St.Croix stoves for sale around MN for sale because they like corn better. Corn around 150 a ton in bulk so if I need to heat my shop will be burning corn in a Hestia with its nice large fan that beats the PC45 hands down. Have to go fix a bushing in a Countryside this AM. Another stove that was made for corn but is an antique in design and controls.

Congrats on the warm shop. I've also found that young helpers have weak minds, and sometimes weak backs. What do you expect though?...it's not a PlayStation ;)

Been a lot of St.Croix stoves for sale around MN for sale because they like corn better. Corn around 150 a ton in bulk so if I need to heat my shop will be burning corn in a Hestia with its nice large fan that beats the PC45 hands down. Have to go fix a bushing in a Countryside this AM. Another stove that was made for corn but is an antique in design and controls.

My St Croix Pepin is an excellent stove and could burn a 50% mix but I've never done it. But the Greenfield corn pot is huge and just didn't seem to work for pellets... the supplied pellet pot is tiny and I don't think it can produce enough btu's to heat my shop. I think it would have been great for my house as my Pepin will melt my face at a mid level heat setting.

I'm on my 7th year with my Pepin (now 13 years old) and I don't think I'd trade that old stove for any other... it is soooo easy to maintain, the versa-grate keeps the pot clean with only a daily pull or two on the clean out rod and it's been reliable as sin.

If I would ever buy a new stove it would be another St. Croix...

I think you would be surprised at how much heat can be had with a small pot burning like a blow torch with some good pellets.

I think you would be surprised at how much heat can be had with a small pot burning like a blow torch with some good pellets.

I burned quite a few doug fir pellets in that stove last year and the heat was just mediocre... now my other stove is very hpt with the same fuel. My shop is well insulated but the concrete floor keeps things a little cooler I think.

I tried just about every combo of pot, heat setting, etc. without a lot of luck. The Greenfield stove is the same design as my old Pepin but without the versa-grate... but the pots are different.

Last night that little England kept the shop nice and warm on level #3... only high 20's so it wasn't much of a test really but we'll see how it heats in 60 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.