Got rid of the Fireplace Grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Claybuster

Mar 7, 2018
Connecticut
The grate has been removed and I don't think I will ever go back. As terribly inefficient as a fireplace is, I think the grate makes it worse. Problem with most grates I see are the legs are way too high. You get too much air under your wood. If I ever go back to a grate (which I doubt) I will cut down the legs from about 6" to 2".

I burn on andirons now and like the burn much better. Also, I burn directly on the ash bed. I always keep about a 2-3 inch+ ash bed across the entire fireplace floor, high enough to reach the height of the andiron supports. If needed I just clear a small channel through the ash to get some airflow on a startup. The ash bed also serves as a layer of insulation which keeps your heat from going down into the floor of the fireplace and your hot coals will stay hotter longer when sitting on the bed. I also use a fireback angled toward the wood. Not only does it help protect the back wall I think it does help push some heat forward. I purchase the fireback at a Tractor Supply Store, end of year clearance sale, and it was only $30. At that price I couldn't pass.

I had three 90' plus trees taken down last year too close to the house, two White Oaks and a Sugar Maple. I must say, after 20 years of burning in a fireplace (maybe a 1/2 dozen fires a season), I have found the Sugar Maple to be excellent fireplace wood. It lights easy at startup and easily on hot coals. Being I had a lot of Sugar Maple, my fireplace has gotten more use this season than probably any other season the past 20 years. I've had probably 30 fires this season. Like I said, in the past I shied away from using the fireplace because they are so inefficient. The White Oaks are for the stove this year.

So, with my new style of burn (no more grate), I have had times where I added some big rounds at night before bed around 1am, and in the morning was able to stir the ash bed, get some hot coals and startup again no problem. IMO getting rid of the big old grate adds efficiency despite what you may read online (don't fall for crafty marketing). Ever go into a ski lodge say in Northern Maine, places well established that have been doing it for a longtime? I doubt you will see a grate. Do yourself a favor, ditch the grate and burn directly on a nice ash bed and you won't regret it!

DSCN1261.JPG

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: savageactor7
I also use a fireback angled toward the wood. Not only does it help protect the back wall I think it does help push some heat forward.
Charlie
With an open fireplace being maybe 10-15 efficient at best...the only heat you are pushing is straight up the chimney, grate or no grate.

With an open fireplace being maybe 10-15 efficient at best...the only heat you are pushing is straight up the chimney, grate or no grate.
Firebacks do help direct more radiant heat out into the room. The gains are negligible but they do help.