got the new stove pe summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elfsmachone

Feb 23, 2010
upstate ny
have a couple questions on what you pe guys or gals figured is the best way to burn them? also dealer tried like crazy to get me to buy a blower for the unit. not sure if i need one or if they are just nice to have? any way i should burn this for the first time? the manual is unclear, just says to have the area well ventilated!

I don't own a summit, but I would not have a wood stove without a blower myself, along with some means of controlling its speed. I see that the PE fan will have a thermostatic on/off control which is nice also.

There are others around here that will chip in that they get along fine with freestanding fans or don't need any fan. So it really depends on your needs/preferences as to whether you "need" one.

No way would I have a stove with out a blower, it just works so much better, a few small break inf fires shoud get you past the "new" smell. I bought my summit in march.

If you have a stove that takes a blower, put it on! It makes the whole unit more effiecient in heat transfer. As far as the 1st burn, just open up a few windows, cuz if smokes and smells the 1st firing.

Fan is great. It makes the room the stove is in bearable and also does a nice job of pushing the air around and warming up the entire house. I use it sort of like a gauge as well. Since the fan will only blow when the stove is at a high enough temp, fan running means stove is cruising. 2600 sq/f home is warmed up to temp in about 1 hour from cold.

well i quess that i feel after looking at the fan just seams like it is way over priced for what it is. i quess it is kinda stupid to balk at 250 after dropping 2200 on the stove. also have any of you seen a huge price difference from dealer to dealer?

elfsmachone said:
.... also have any of you seen a huge price difference from dealer to dealer?

Regarding the blower or stove? If your dealer is far away or non responsive, order the blower from wherever and DIY.

The blower takes two screws and 10 mins to bolt the fan on, so don't feel too bad about not getting the blower up front. Unless the stove is recessed into a fireplace or alcove you can do it yourself. It will help with BTU output if you find that the unit does not heat your space as you anticipated. If your anticipations are to heat the home 24/7 and limit the use of your furnace, order the blower.

no the thing is the dealer that is close to my home wanted 2550 for the stove on a pedistal and an ash pan, black door. i called a dealer that was 1 1/2 hrs away and for the same stove he was getting 2046. just seams like a huge diff.

elfsmachone said:
no the thing is the dealer that is close to my home wanted 2550 for the stove on a pedistal and an ash pan, black door. i called a dealer that was 1 1/2 hrs away and for the same stove he was getting 2046. just seams like a huge diff.
You got a lot better deal than I did, not to many dealers in the area though.

I got the fan for free. Which means I likely overpaid for the stove, lol. $225 is a bit much. I remember being quoted $100 when I was shopping around.

Can't speak directly as to whether the blower with the PE is good or not . . . but I do know the dealer where I bought my Oslo from suggested holding off on purchasing the optional blower . . . said to try it for a few weeks (or entire winter) and see if I would need the blower or not . . . that won some respect from me as this dealer could easily have told me that it was crucial and I would have probably bought the blower.

My own take . . . which may be a bit different . . . I used the Oslo without the blower and instead used a cheap fan on the floor to move the heat . . . working on Year 3 and I pretty much heat the entire home this way so the blower was not necessary in my case.

I don't have a PE (Great stove by the way), but my Kozy heat has a thermostatic and adjustable speed blower and I couldn't live without it.

Get an outside air intake too.

Status
Not open for further replies.