Grand Solar Minimum - Is a mini ice age upon us?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RFarm

Oct 24, 2013
North Georgia Mountains
Experts told the UK Daily Star on May 19, 2017:

"Planet Earth is on course for a “Little Age Ice” within the next three years thanks to a cocktail of climate change and low solar activity.

Research shows a natural cooling cycle that occurs every 230 years began in 2014 and will send temperatures plummeting even further by 2019.

Scientists are also expecting a “huge reduction” in solar activity for 33 years between 2020 and 2053 that will cause thermometers to crash.

Both cycles suggest Earth is entering a global cooling cycle that could have devastating consequences for global economy, human life and society as we know it."
I have been monitoring UV-B levels for a couple months and have noticed a strong increase, possibly due to the earths weakening magnetosphere as we enter into the grand solar minimum. The last time we were in this setup was the Maunder Minimum of 1645-1715 also referred to as The Mini Ice Age.

This sounds like good news to me, besides the famine and plague aspects, the longer burning seasons would be a welcome change!

There is a huge disinformation campaign happening.There are memes on global cooling, false volcano CO2 release reports, cfact reporting cherry picked data and made up science etc.. The EPA, NASA and about 97% of the world's climate scientists disagree, but that doesn't stop the massive campaign to sow seeds of doubt.

It's an easy sell. Permanent climate change is scary stuff. It will change the course of human history. We'd all rather it wasn't happening or would miraculously reverse course, but that's not going to happen. When in doubt, it's good to follow the money and look at who is funding these disinformation campaigns.

Right? Lol, cause scientists following govt money would never falsify data.

Not 97% of them across the globe no. But I guess can tabloids pass for reliable sources for scientific data at this point why not.

Experts told the UK Daily Star on May 19, 2017:

"Planet Earth is on course for a “Little Age Ice” within the next three years thanks to a cocktail of climate change and low solar activity.​

The Sun has been blank except for one spot.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

The last little ice age was preceded by successively colder winters in higher latitude areas with draught in lower latitude areas. California has had droughts that have lasted as long as 200 years.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/01/...ve-lasted-more-than-200-years-scientists-say/

.​

What? The sun you say? Climate has changed in the past?

Are you getting paid to spout this stuff?

Reactions: rowerwet
When I was going to University of Maine in the eighties, the Institute of Quaternary Studies was discussing global cooling due to the current unexpectedly long interglacial period that we are in right now. By long term studies from ice cores and other long term indicators we should have gone into the next glacial period up to several hundred years ago to meet the average interglacial period. There has been a few more recent studies indicating that global warming may delay the transition to the next glacial period. Other more recent studies say that all the ice core and sediment data was interpreted incorrectly and the next glacial period could be as much as 10 thousand years out.

The scientific community and the media now have a script on what they do and don't report and those expressing ideas opposing the popular drumbeat are lumped in with the overwhelming majority of paid climate skeptics. If I search for the historical references to the IQS studies they appear to not have made the transition to the on line world and therefore must be invalid as they aren't in a PDF file somewhere on the web.

We unfortunately are in new territory, there hasn't been such a long term dumping of carbon into the atmosphere for a very long time climatologically and therefore the results are going to be a science experiment on global scale. Hind sight will be 20/20, at some point in the future someone will be able to point when things went wrong and things went right as they will be living with the consequences. Nothing wrong with grand experiments except when you are living in the test tube ;)

Last edited:

I see you fell for the disinformation campaign! I always thought they were laughable and that nobody really believed them. I know a lot of scientists and they all take their work very seriously. Usually money is the last thing on their mind.

But Al Gore told us in 2006 that the arctic ice cap would be completely gone, and many coastal cities would be under water by... now?

Looks outside...

Actually, no, he didn't. Where do you get this stuff from?

Actually, no, he didn't. Where do you get this stuff from?

Al Gore claim: “I went down to Miami and saw fish from the ocean swimming in the streets on a sunny day. The same thing was true in Honolulu just two days ago, just from high tides because of the sea level rise now.”

Reality Check: Analysis Debunks Absurd Sea Level Rise Claims About South Florida – Sea level rise in the Miami area is not accelerating and it is rising at a rate of about 1 foot per century.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2017/06...nland-sea-levels-extreme-weather-on-fox-news/

Reactions: gregbesia
They can't predict when a hurricane is going to hit landfall tomorrow but can predict the earths temperature a hundred years from now.

Sent from my HTC Desire 512 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rowerwet
An Incinvenient Truth. I watched it.

I watched An Inconvenient Truth also. Al Gore never said the Artic ice cap would be completely gone by now and that many coastal cities would be underwater by now. But the ice cap is shrinking at an accelerated rate and causing the sea level to rise. You don't have to watch An Inconvenient Truth to know that beyond any reasonable doubt.

Al Gore claim: “I went down to Miami and saw fish from the ocean swimming in the streets on a sunny day. The same thing was true in Honolulu just two days ago, just from high tides because of the sea level rise now.”

Reality Check: Analysis Debunks Absurd Sea Level Rise Claims About South Florida – Sea level rise in the Miami area is not accelerating and it is rising at a rate of about 1 foot per century.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2017/06...nland-sea-levels-extreme-weather-on-fox-news/

Seriously? You are using a link to climatedepot.com to offer scientific support? Do you even know who climatedepot.com is and who they are supported by?

What is this world coming to?

I watched An Inconvenient Truth also. Al Gore never said the Artic ice cap would be completely gone by now and that many coastal cities would be underwater by now. But the ice cap is shrinking at an accelerated rate and causing the sea level to rise. You don't have to watch An Inconvenient Truth to know that beyond any reasonable doubt.
To be clear, the Antarctic ice cap is growing, while the Arctic is shrinking. Those with an agenda never seem to notice that, though.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

I'll have to dig up the ol' VHS and have another look, but I recall some pretty fantastic predictions.

I also recall a bunch of global temperture graphs in one of my high school text books presented as fact rather than theory, depicting what is now the present (this was 1999), only if we look back, the predicted trends were totally false. But if I said: "hey that's not going to happen", I probably would have been told that they were created by scientists and how dare I question what's in a textbook.

It's like the saying goes: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

When I was going to University of Maine in the eighties, the Institute of Quaternary Studies was discussing global cooling due to the current unexpectedly long interglacial period that we are in right now. By long term studies from ice cores and other long term indicators we should have gone into the next glacial period up to several hundred years ago to meet the average interglacial period. There has been a few more recent studies indicating that global warming may delay the transition to the next glacial period. Other more recent studies say that all the ice core and sediment data was interpreted incorrectly and the next glacial period could be as much as 10 thousand years out.

The scientific community and the media now have a script on what they do and don't report and those expressing ideas opposing the popular drumbeat are lumped in with the overwhelming majority of paid climate skeptics. If I search for the historical references to the IQS studies they appear to not have made the transition to the on line world and therefore must be invalid as they aren't in a PDF file somewhere on the web.

We unfortunately are in new territory, there hasn't been such a long term dumping of carbon into the atmosphere for a very long time climatologically and therefore the results are going to be a science experiment on global scale. Hind sight will be 20/20, at some point in the future someone will be able to point when things went wrong and things went right as they will be living with the consequences. Nothing wrong with grand experiments except when you are living in the test tube ;)

Even in the 1970's-1980's the scientific literature of the day was dominated by studies showing global warming (not global cooling). However, the same big-money interests that today promote climate change denial, were in the 1970's-1980's promoting global cooling as a way to obscure and confuse the reality of the situation. If the threat is global cooling, maybe a little warming is just what we need, eh? It also helped create the perception that the whole thing was just a wild-ass guess. And the same big-money interests are still using their fake global cooling hype of the 1970's to discredit real scientific thought today. They are probably laughing at how easy it was to sow confusion and doubt.

When an otherwise educated politician says he's not convinced fossil fuels are causing global warming, it's just a wink and a nod to the oil companies (acknowledging that he's on their side). Or to his constituents who may either be employed by the fossil fuel industry or possibly just easily fooled by existing global warming disinformation campaigns. This is more common than you might realize, especially in poorer and more rural areas.

I'll have to dig up the ol' VHS and have another look, but I recall some pretty fantastic predictions.

Yes, take another look. Because it doesn't say what you're claiming.

I also recall a bunch of global temperture graphs in one of my high school text books presented as fact rather than theory, depicting what is now the present (this was 1999), only if we look back, the predicted trends were totally false. But if I said: "hey that's not going to happen", I probably would have been told that they were created by scientists and how dare I question what's in a textbook.

When I went to high school there was no global warming content in the textbooks. But that would be pretty irresponsible if yours had a global temperature graph prediction presented as fact. Because, even now, there is enough uncertainty as to how fast and how much the globe will warm. Take another look, I bet the graphs were not presented as fact.

It's like the saying goes: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Are you saying you feel like the global scientific community has fooled you with regard to global warming? I don't feel that way at all.

Seems to me, we should focus on being as conservative with our resources as we can, and as clean in our collection/usage of them as we can, and learn how to live with a warmer or colder planet.
Changes will come and go, and we can spend time and energy arguing over who's right and who's wrong, or we can be good stewards of our planet and learn how to live on it while causing as little damage as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.