Grandma Bear wood stove from my family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

04mustang

Jan 22, 2018
NC
Hi,
I've got a grandma bear stove that belonged to my grandparents since it was new in the late 1970's. We live in Lumberton NC.
The stove was removed from their house a few years back and has been in our building in storage since. I would like to clean it up and "restore" it to its former glory and perhaps install it in my house for backup heat/help out the HVAC system in the cold months.
I've read that a baffle is a good idea to install and that a 6" chimney is good as well. I want to make sure I do this right and get it setup correctly. I've attached photos of the stove and would like any and all input. The chimney comes from the back wall of the stove, not the top.

Also for reference, my house is 2 story and I plan to have the stove on the bottom floor, I'm guessing I would need to run an external flume and go all the way to the top of the roof?

Thank you,
Corey

Attachments

• 20180118_162843.jpg
    20180118_162843.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 20180118_162848.jpg
    20180118_162848.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20180118_162854.jpg
    20180118_162854.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20180118_162916.jpg
    20180118_162916.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 211
It's an early Grandma, probably 1977 with all the older style parts such as stainless springs, 4 fin draft caps and staight handles. Those were all changed through the years that started in '77 and progressed through the years to 1980.

An interior chimney is much better and cheaper for chimney parts if there is a place to run it up the inside. Otherwise, yes you need a chimney that clears the roof as required by code. (the inner chamber is called the flue not to be confused with the influenza / flu) May or not be able to legally reduce depending on the codes in your area. (as well as install an unlisted appliance)
Can't tell you if reducing will work for you depending on pipe configuration. Horizontal runs should be double wall and you'll probably need that for a rear vent for reduced clearance to rear wall anyway. When going straight up from the back, there would be no physical issue reducing, providing it is legal to do so.

Hi,
I've got a grandma bear stove that belonged to my grandparents since it was new in the late 1970's. We live in Lumberton NC.
The stove was removed from their house a few years back and has been in our building in storage since. I would like to clean it up and "restore" it to its former glory and perhaps install it in my house for backup heat/help out the HVAC system in the cold months.
I've read that a baffle is a good idea to install and that a 6" chimney is good as well. I want to make sure I do this right and get it setup correctly. I've attached photos of the stove and would like any and all input. The chimney comes from the back wall of the stove, not the top.

Also for reference, my house is 2 story and I plan to have the stove on the bottom floor, I'm guessing I would need to run an external flume and go all the way to the top of the roof?

Thank you,
Corey
I find they work best on 7". I have seen lots of problems running them on 6" and it is not allowed by code anyway.

Just make sure that battery has a full charge before you start it up. I usually keep mine on a battery tender when not swing used .
Frank

And now that I review your pictures again, they show a 6 volt battery. You can get the upgrade kit to go from 6 volts to 12 volts. Kit includes the igniter and necessary wiring.
Frank