Grandma Firebrick and Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have decided to install a newer regency stove to free myself from getting fined. I do need the pipe cover that goes on the ceiling. Now HT is height?
I understand…but my worry was the fine etc and now that worry is gone and I don't have to giveaway so much space to the Fisher. If it wasn't illegal I'd go right ahead with it. Why can't they just add a filter to the flue to cut back the toxins instead of forcing us to buy modern?
If it were that simple stove companies wouldn't be spending the massive amounts of money on r&d that they do.

High Temperature.
You may be referring to the ceiling support box that supports the first chimney pipe section?
Yes forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this. I'm so glad that there are people like you out there that can help so many others.

My house was built in 1948 no insulation in the walls. Thinking about blowing in rock wool…

Wish I had went with this ^ ^ ^ instead of the injected spray foam that I got...Airkrete was more money, so I cheaped out...shouldn't have... :rolleyes:

Wish I had went with this ^ ^ ^ instead of the injected spray foam that I got...Airkrete was more money, so I cheaped out...shouldn't have... :rolleyes:
I chose rock wool for its insulation value and soundproofing as well as its green.

What Grandma Bear do you have? The older style with flat top doors, or the newer Grandma III with a rear heat shield and no angle iron down the corners?
The Grandma III has brick layout in the manual.
There are threads for both with brick diagrams. I'll link you to the one you need to follow.

The threads in the sticky section serve as an information source and most join to start a new thread with specific questions. I'll give you your own thread so as you go, more questions can be asked and found easily. Welcome to the Forum!

The cheapest place to buy firebrick is a local masonry supply store. They can be found for about $1.50 each there. Ace Hardware, some Tractor Supply and online sources are much more. They will be 4 1/2" wide X 9" long and 1 1/4" thick.
I have Grandma Bear with angle-iron Legs and flat top doors. What is the fire brick layout or is there a diagram? I want to replace these as per OEM.

Also, if the draftcap fell off and the nut is missing. Is there a special nut that should be used or is regular grade 8 nut acceptable?

Back.jpg LT Side.jpg RT Side.jpg

Last edited:
What Grandma Bear do you have? The older style with flat top doors, or the newer Grandma III with a rear heat shield and no angle iron down the corners?
The Grandma III has brick layout in the manual.
There are threads for both with brick diagrams. I'll link you to the one you need to follow.

The threads in the sticky section serve as an information source and most join to start a new thread with specific questions. I'll give you your own thread so as you go, more questions can be asked and found easily. Welcome to the Forum!

The cheapest place to buy firebrick is a local masonry supply store. They can be found for about $1.50 each there. Ace Hardware, some Tractor Supply and online sources are much more. They will be 4 1/2" wide X 9" long and 1 1/4" thick.
I have the Grandma Bear with doors that are flat on the top. Angle Iron stands. What's the fire brick layout?

Also, the draftcap fell off. is there a special nut or material type to replace it with?

First test the brick retainer height to make sure bricks slip up under retainer while setting on stove bottom. Very early models had retainers high, so the bottom bricks had to go in first to set rear and side bricks on top of the bottom layer. If they fit under retainer directly on stove bottom, start with rear wall at left rear corner. Install 5 across back. 5 full bricks should fit if it is a Grandma. Next install side bricks from rear to front. The front should take a partial brick next to door opening. Not all stoves were made to exact measurements as the original drawings I have for them. It is always best to measure and cut for each stove. You can set brick upright against the front next to door as well. The bottom holds them tight against walls at bottom.

Make sure you keep the bottom and between bricks very clean as you go. Brick crumbs or ash will prevent fitting tightly. Don’t worry about space or cracks between them, it will fill in with ash quickly.

The nut and bolt was not a hardened grade, the original bolt had no head markings. Any nut will suffice.

Reactions: Heavy FCC