grandma stove VI1982

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

goody

Nov 15, 2017
ontario, Canada
I have a Fisher 2 door (glass) measure 251/2" top, 30 1/2" rear height, 24 1/2" front height, Door opening 17" width, 10 1/2" height. I believe it is a Grandma VI. Looking for Manual. Clearance specs.

Thanks
Goody

Series VI is only the single door stoves in the Bear Series. Double doors were I and II before glass and III and IV with glass.

Yours is a Grandma size, Series III glass is horizontal across top like this;

GM III Ind. 2.jpg Grandma III 7.jpg

Series IV is angled as shown below;

GM IV Scott Ohio 11.jpg GM IV Ohio 3.jpg

Clearance specs are on tag on rear shield. They differ for Canada and US. A Canadian tag has metric measurements as well.

Thank-you for the info. My doors are shaped like those doors in the III pics except the vents are on the top of the door above the glass. Is this a Canadian version of the Grandma III ? There is no plate or sticker. The doors also have a chrome trim around the doors and the fisher name is chromed as well. It came with chrome claw feet that fit on the angle iron legs. Also does the clearance for the pipe to ceiling change when the installation uses a 6" stove pipe instead of the 8 "? This install is connected to a 7" round clay flue inside a mason block chimney with a 6" thimble (connector) for the 6" stove pipe.

Last edited:
The first glass III doors had the intake above glass.
Are these your doors shown on this Insert?

Unknown 2.jpg Unknown 3.jpg

They soon made the stove with a plate across the front with the intake sliders to provide air wash over glass.

The feet don't fit the Listed version of the stove. (without angle iron corners) Pictures would show me what you have. If you have the old style with angle iron corners, it is a III made for use on hearth or non-combustible area and was not Listed. They were sold $100 cheaper when a listed stove was not required on a hearth or non-combustible surface.

The plating is nickel. Chrome peels with heat, nickel gets harder when heated. They were black or optional plated with brass or nickel.

The feet were only chromed in a version facing forward and made of cast iron. This version was smooth with no hair detail. They are quite rare. Any feet with hair molded in are plated with white brass. There were a few facing straight forward made of cast iron, plated with white brass, the more common angled variety are white metal and not magnetic.

Pipe clearance only changes with single or double wall, not diameter.