Grandma with glass doors....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dirty Don

Jan 9, 2018
MICHIGAN
I just picked up a grandma bear with glass doors. The flu exit it's straight out the top it looks like the plate in there as been bent upwards against the back wall does anyone have a picture of what it should look like. Or could describe it and does anyone have a copy of the clearances I believe they are less than the older ones because it has a heat shield on the back looks like a heat shield on the bottom. Thanks in advance

Grandma III or IV ?
Is there a tag on it?

Does it have angle iron welded to the sides for the baffle plate to sit on? Are you sure it wasn't tilted back and the plate came off the support and got stuck? That is common when moving.

Thank you for the quick response after looking at other information I believe it's a honey bear it has a heat shield on the back it is out in my barn currently I will look at it tomorrow to see if that plate moves I can look straight down in it and see to the bottom thank you

Grandma III and IV will have a heat shield on the back as well but they are a much larger stove than a Honey Bear.
Honey Bear also doesn't have a "smoke shelf baffle" like the full size stoves.
Grandma III and IV will have turn knobs on the sides for primary air intakes. Honey Bear will not. Honey Bear has upper and lower air intakes above and below doors in the form of a slider control. The Convertible Honey Bear with removable pedestal has a single push / pull control front and center under ash fender. All the Honey Bears have a completely different baffle.
Find out what you have first or post pictures.

Grandma III and IV will have a heat shield on the back as well but they are a much larger stove than a Honey Bear.
Honey Bear also doesn't have a "smoke shelf baffle" like the full size stoves.
Grandma III and IV will have turn knobs on the sides for primary air intakes. Honey Bear will not. Honey Bear has upper and lower air intakes above and below doors in the form of a slider control. The Convertible Honey Bear with removable pedestal has a single push / pull control front and center under ash fender. All the Honey Bears have a completely different baffle.
Find out what you have first or post pictures.

I have pictures of baffles in a III, a IV and Honey Bear when you know what you have.

Did not get home in time and I do not have lights in the barn my stove does have dials on the side I will get pictures tomorrow thanks Coaly..... years ago I had a Grandpa bear in the 80s bought it when I was a year old used dumbest thing thing I ever did was sell it tried tracking it down the road dried up. So I started looking into Fisher Stoves learned more of about them from your website. I have since picked up the early 70s Square door Papa Bear and Arch door Grandma Bear an arch door baby bear and now the glass door one. Plan on using the Papa in my basement and using the new Glassdoor one in my living room the other two I am using a end tables.... have one I got from Lowe's 10 years ago in the basement and I have an older Englander with a glass door. Which works great currently heating my upstairs

Do you know what model this is or is it something someone just made...??? Currently for sale 20 minutes from me

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-10-21-06-43-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-01-10-21-06-43-1.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 194
Homemade with Grandma III doors. Those doors were also used on the Insert and Teddy Bear.

Hey, we have matching end tables ! I actually have a lighted ceramic Christmas tree in one and run the cord through the rear intake to decorate them for the holidays. We leave the doors open and they light up inside. Last year I was lazy and didn't take the decorations down, just closed the doors. This year getting ready for the holidays was easy ! ;lol

With side intakes it is not a Honey Bear.
If it has 5 bricks across the back it is a Grandma. Grandpa uses 6.
Here is the difference between a glass III and IV;

GM III Ind. 2.jpg First glass style III

GM IV Scott Ohio 11.jpg Later IV

They both should have angle iron on the sides to sit baffle plate on. I'm still betting the baffle plate tilted up and is stuck against the back from moving. It can get really stuck in there.

Homemade with Grandma III doors. Those doors were also used on the Insert and Teddy Bear.

Hey, we have matching end tables ! I actually have a lighted ceramic Christmas tree in one and run the cord through the rear intake to decorate them for the holidays. We leave the doors open and they light up inside. Last year I was lazy and didn't take the decorations down, just closed the doors. This year getting ready for the holidays was easy ! ;lol

With side intakes it is not a Honey Bear.
If it has 5 bricks across the back it is a Grandma. Grandpa uses 6.
Here is the difference between a glass III and IV;

View attachment 220377 First glass style III

View attachment 220376 Later IV

They both should have angle iron on the sides to sit baffle plate on. I'm still betting the baffle plate tilted up and is stuck against the back from moving. It can get really stuck in there.

You are right went out there pryed on plate flopped right down mine is the IV..... I need to get bricks and restore which is the best paint to use any other information brick layout and is there a manual for this for clearances. Then put the heat shield back on yet took it off to move it. Payed $150...

Attachments

• 20180111_150943.jpg
    20180111_150943.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 197
Wow, that's cheap !
No manual (yet) Use the clearances from tag.
Stove Bright Satin Black. Don't settle for less.

Wow, that's cheap !
No manual (yet) Use the clearances from tag.
Stove Bright Satin Black. Don't settle for less.
I have switched over to aw perkins paint. It seems to go on much smoother and hold up as well. It smells allot worse when painting though. We were having trouble with to many stove brite cans not working.

Well that's a good sign if it smells worse. Stove Bright held that title for a long time. It was the most industrial smelling stuff I ever used.

Reactions: bholler