Grandma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
From what I've read, it seems they can differ slightly. The Grandma Bear will have 5 firebricks across the back of the stove. The Grandpa Bear will have 6 firebricks across the back.

Welcome to the forum!

From what I've read, it seems they can differ slightly. The Grandma Bear will have 5 firebricks across the back of the stove. The Grandpa Bear will have 6 firebricks across the back.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks,my grandma is slightly different in measurement smaller actually by inch or so both ways,so I was confused . Today I looked on back of the door and it had G M L , I'm assuming grandma left door! I've actually owned papa and baby bear in the past. Currently own a mama bear, fireplace insert and a fixer Grandma which will be beautiful when I'm done.

Reactions: Todd67
You are correct, the G M L is for Grandma Left door.

I heat my 2-story house with a Mama Bear. I have an attic that is mostly finished with drywall and insulation, and the attic always stay warm enough to use all winter. That is saying a lot, considering I live in northern NY.

I bought my house in 2008 and it had a Baby Bear in the mud room. It wasn't installed, but it got my attention because I was new to wood stoves and wood burning. My research led me to this great forum in 2012. I restored that Baby and it sits in my mud room as a display stove, along with my restored Coal Bear and a very early unfired Papa Bear that I will restore next summer (it rusted a little by sitting in a basement it's whole life).

I also have a 1976 Grandma in my garage that I will restore next summer, and a very early Papa with a 3 piece top and plain door in my living room as an end table. My Grandpa Bear is restored and in use at my neighbor's house.

IMG_20191112_223300.jpg

I have a grandma and I believe it to be a “wide body” grandma bear. If I remember correctly it’s a little wider and a little less deep then normal.