Grandpa Bear Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LaxDad

Aug 31, 2019
Phoenix, MD
Hello All,
I need to replace our fire brick this year. I have a local building supply company which sells 4 x 9 x 1 3/8 bricks for $1.47/ea. Question is, will the extra 1/8” work since the recommended width is 1 1/4”? I’m also interested in layout schematics so I can insert bricks for proper installation? Any other tips would be awesome. This stove is a “True Heater”!
Thanks I’m advance for your help.
Bill

Won't matter on the bottom.
Really the clips that hold the side bricks in place are not that tight.
If you have to trim a few that can be done with an angle grinder or circular saw with a masonry blade (and a dust mask).
Generally bricks come out: First the bottom ones, then the sides and the back last. Reverse the process to install.
By the way I buy bricks at Belair Road Supply in Rosedale, you might be familiar with them since you're from Maryland.

Last edited:
Firebrick layout depends on the Grandpa model. Does yours have angle iron corners or rounded bent corners with a rear shield?
One piece body (UL listed) is a series III and brick layout is in the manual.

Non UL with angle iron corners has a few threads along with layout diagrams. Start here;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/grandpa-bear-firebricks.117985/

Won't matter on the bottom.
Really the clips that hold the side bricks in place are not that tight.
If you have to trim a few that can be done with an angle grinder or circular saw with a masonry blade (and a dust mask).
Generally bricks come out: First the bottom ones, then the sides and the back last. Reverse the process to install.
By the way I buy bricks at Belair Road Supply in Rosedale, you might be familiar with them since you're from Maryland.

Thanks Don,
I do live in the area (Phoenix, MD). That’s where I was planning on buying the bricks. I’ve used them in the past to build outdoor fire pits w/fire brick. Good stuff!
Bill

DE3D4FBE-34F4-461E-B069-900668D6EF6A.jpeg Thanks Coaly,
I believe it’s rounded corners as a one piece body. It has 6 bricks on back wall w/4 along the sides. Any other tips are welcome.
Thanks,
Bill

Great looking stove, welcome to the forum!