Gransfor Bruk Splitting Maul !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cckw

Nov 29, 2016
Omaha NE area
I got this as a birthday gift from my wife. A little info on the brand. These are hand made in Sweden using old time equipment and methods. Makers initials are stamped into the head. There are not many places that carry the brand. I am fortunate in that I am not far from one of those places omahaknife.com. I was able to go pick the one I liked best. I wanted a cool looking handle and chose this one. If you are buying online or on the phone they will choose one based on what you tell them, but it is much better to be there yourself!

My other maul is an old 8lb. This one is 5.5lb. However I am far more effective with this one. I am not sure why, but a couple ideas are that I can get more speed on this one so the faster speed with less weight give me more force. There could be something to the geometry that makes it better. But for sure it consumes less energy over time, plus I can strike more accurately with it. I have not pounded a wedge with it yet, but by reputation these hold up really well in hard use.

This is not the type of tool you let other people use. price was $185, but totally worth it if you like nice things.

Ayfc9VI.jpg

JqWhU4L.jpg

uobPEAB.jpg

a>

a>

a>

Last edited:
Happy birthday and my compliments for your brand new maul! Hultafors (also from Sweden) makes great tools too but i’ll Write to Santa Claus and ask for the American felling axe by Gransfors

I had one of those but I overheated it swinging too fast and ruined the temper. Bummer.

Seriously, they are a desirable tool made to the highest standards and I say - if you really want one, why not!

I toyed with the idea of buying one last year, but instead put that money toward a hydro splitter. They are beautiful axes and mauls and I recently got to look at a few unexpectedly at a clothing store in Burlington VT.

I got this as a birthday gift from my wife. ........ This is not the type of tool you let other people use. price was $185, but totally worth it if you like nice things.

View attachment 215888
View attachment 215889
View attachment 215890

a>

a>

a>

OK.....? Was that gift to include any hidden messages? Lol.

Definitely a very handsome tool and I would not lend it out either. That maul requires a genteel approach to splitting rounds rather than just a typical mauling.

I don't think I'd use much different of an approach when using this maul vs my Stihl pro maul. I would assume at the price point of the Gransfors that they would have a lifetime warranty, like any of the Stihl mauls.