Graphing Software

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I started using new graphing software, SigmaGraph, a free download, and found it to be reasonably easy to use (after a brief learning curve). The Resol controller for the evacuated tube solar domestic hot water system at Deep Portage provides a data download to a tab delimited *.txt file. Currently nine temperature sensors are logged in one minute intervals.The *.txt file can be directly loaded into a spreadsheet program (I use Quattro Pro X6, similar to Excel), which makes it easy to format the data as desired and select data columns for graphing. The spreadsheet program then outputs the data into a tab delimited *.txt file.

SigmaGraph then loads the *.txt file and the data can be displayed in multiple ways. I was particularly concerned about the freeze protection scheme implemented on the Resol to protect the evacuated tube array and piping. Attached is a graph which shows that on a very cold, cloudy day, freeze protection worked exactly as intended. I won't describe the freeze protection scheme, as this post relates to the graphing program. The temperature sensors displayed in this graph: S1 - top of array; S7 - outdoor; S3 - bottom of DHW tank; S9 - top of DHW tank. Attached 2015-02-06.pdf is the graph created.

A second graph shows the output of my personal PV system on Feb 5.

I say "reasonably easy to use" because some text formatting of the data may need to be done to remove colons, convert to an accepted field delimiter of space, semicolon, or tab, etc. It doesn't take long to learn the formatting that might be needed, but a text editor program or feature is needed.

Attachments

• 2015-02-06.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 2015-0205.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.