Grate Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustySTL

Dec 16, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm fairly new to the wood burning fireplace scene. I have a home built in 1929, which I'm absolutely pleased with. The fireplace is a little odd, it's masonry, has an arch, the rear of the firebox is 28" and the front is 38", and it's only about 16.5" deep.

The previous owners had some strange cast iron grate that is only 16" wide with 4 bars, so everything falls through. I want to get a new one, but everything I find (other than the big box stores) is 16" deep, which I would think is too deep for my fireplace. Everyone tells me to stay away from the cheap ones at Lowes and Home Depot because the sag after some use. I may settle on one of those for this season though.

Any suggestions as to the correct depth of a grate I should use? Any suggestions of a good make and model that I can order online?

I read that wrong. I was looking for the "great" advice lol

Status
Not open for further replies.