GRATE CLEANING TIP... call out to 'THREERUN'... thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freelheeler

Dec 30, 2014
MT
So yesterday I was reading 'THREERUN' post and review on his M55 stove...

Our (2008 lennox traditions) has been a PIA for the last 6 years and I'd committed to finding the best new stove to purchase... earlier in the day I'd actually posted asking for advise... That's when I came across 'THREERUN' description of how he cleans his pellet grate, blow torch it and dunk it in cold water.

I don't think of myself as a fly by night stove owner, I just unknowingly bought a difficult stove that I've kicked and screamed at for years. We've spent thousands, cleaned for hundreds of hours and tried dozens of different pellets and multiple setups only to be constantly disappointed. Same problem... different day... half burnt pellets fill the grate and it burns like crap and shuts down.

Last night i got home it was -15 degrees outside and the stove had turned off again because the grate was full of half burnt pellets... this time I took pause... I've thought for years it was an air/fuel problem but could it be a simple constriction? So I applied this new to me technique and pulled the grate and torched it!

From what 'THREERUN' claims and what I witnessed the heating and quick cooling process sort of micro cleans and dislodges the grit and ash between the small rails. Over time the space had decreased just enough so that the burnt pellets and ash would not fall through fast enough causing the pellets to build up and ultimately snuf out the fire. It wasn't until I got in close with the torch that I could see the years of 'resin' build up missed by the scraping and wire brush. Within an hour it was pretty clean (I ran out of propane) so I put it back in the stove and it was like someone had flipped a switch... THANKS YOU!

For the first time since I can remember the stove ran through the night on medium heat!!! And this AM the grate was great and still burning perfect! I'm almost afraid I will jinks it by posting this but thought others should know of this little gem of a cleaning tip (or a least those of us who've struggled and limped along for years trying to get our lennox tradition stoves to work).

Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.